Prove yourself to an employer!
Today’s job market is very competitive and setting yourself apart from other job seekers can difficult. The portfolio is a great way for you to stand out from the crowd.
A portfolio is a collection of documents that are compiled and organized in a way to help you track your skills and accomplishments.
Portfolios can be used for:
- Proving yourself and your accomplishments to an employer in a job interview
- Applying to graduate schools or professional programs
- Tracking and recording your skill development and career growth
- Planning a career change (as it can be used as a self evaluation tool)
- Providing evidence of your work in a job performance evaluation
Quick tips for developing your portfolio:
- Clarify your purpose for creating a portfolio
- Collect information that is relevant to the field or job you want
- Organize your portfolio into a format that best highlights your skills and accomplishments
- Provide captions or descriptions to support documents that are not self explanatory
- Use a professional looking binder to display your information
- Have it proofread and review it for spelling/grammatical errors
I need help with my portfolio!
Creating your portfolio may take some time. There are many great resources and services to help you develop your portfolio.
- Go through the Basics of Portfolio Development online workshop. This will help you decide on a format for your portfolio, what you could include, and how to organize your information.
- Collect and organize appropriate documents to include in your portfolio
- Visit the Career Resource Centre in the Learning Commons and look through portfolio books such as:
- Creating Your Career Portfolio: At-A-Glance Guide for Students, by Anna Graf Williams, Ph.D., & Karen J. Hall.
- Proof of Performance: How to Build a Career Portfolio to Land a Great New Job, by Rick Nelles.
- Request a Portfolio Production Workshop to further assist you with organizing your information into a format that works for you.
- Have your portfolio reviewed by a Career Assistant in the Career Resource Centre and look at different portfolio samples.
This book and many more available in our Resource Centre!