Mental health, including during the pandemic, will be discussed by Brock researchers from across the University at a public event next week.
Perspectives on Mental Health, a free online symposium, takes place Tuesday, April 27 from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
The interdisciplinary event will feature faculty, student and staff presenters from the Departments of Child and Youth Studies, Geography and Tourism Studies, Education, Health Sciences and Nursing, as well as the Student Wellness and Accessibility Centre.
Researchers will offer their perspectives on a wide array of topics related to mental health, including:
- experiences of nature for Canadian youth
- perceptions of weight and bullying among adolescents
- social and emotional learning in elementary schools
- an urban mental health crisis at the turn of the 20th century
Several of the presenters will focus on the various effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on youth, including:
- the benefits of dog-walking to relieve pandemic stress in young people
- perfectionism both before and during the pandemic
- transitioning from high school to university during the pandemic
- impacts of youth mental health on families
Details on the presenters and a full list of presentations with descriptions are available online.
Perspectives on Mental Health kicks off a new interdisciplinary symposium series hosted by the Faculty of Social Sciences. It is intended to create more opportunities for members of the Brock and wider communities to learn about research and activities happening across the University related to various themes.
Ingrid Makus, Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences, is eager to welcome visitors to these events, which are intended for a non-expert audience.
“With this new series, we hope to explore topics from multiple perspectives,” says Makus. “This inaugural event, Perspectives on Mental Health, offers audience members and participants alike a unique opportunity to consider the theme of mental health through a variety of lenses.”
Everyone is welcome to attend the live event. Registration is required. A link to join via Lifesize will be sent following registration.