For the first full week of February, Canadian organizations — including Brock University — come together as part of International Development Week (IDW) to celebrate their contributions to eradicating poverty and fostering a more peaceful, inclusive and prosperous world.
This year’s theme, ‘Go for the Goals,’ raises awareness of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a continued focus of IDW since 2020. The 17 SDGs are a blueprint for United Nations Member States to unify in their commitments to peace, prosperity for people, and the planet.
From Sunday, Feb. 5 to Saturday, Feb. 11, Brock aims to shed light on the SDGs among faculty, staff and students in support of the University’s strategic priority to continue growth in internationalization and globalization.
Christina Bosilo, Director, Brock International, believes that participation in nationwide initiatives like IDW is critical to students’ career development.
“Exposing students to the SDGs enables them to become active participants in an increasingly globalized economy,” she says. “Organizations are focusing on sustainability and looking for the next generation of global leaders.”
Departments across the University have co-ordinated a week of events to support the Brock community’s understanding of global development and sustainability initiatives.
The week kicks off with a virtual information session to introduce the UN SDGs. On Monday, Feb. 6 at 10 a.m., students, faculty and staff are invited to join The Sustainable Development Goals and Why YOU Need to Know Them session to explore the SDGs and why they matter.
Events throughout the week include:
- My Story: From Brock to Permanent Residence — Hear settlement success stories from Brock’s international alumni.
- Academics Without Borders — Learn about how to get involved in international projects as faculty and staff.
- A guided tour of Brock’s District Energy system — Tour the unique system that serves Brock’s energy needs while providing resiliency for climate change adaptation.
- Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings Results for Brock University — Learn how Brock is contributing to the SDGs.
- Trivia Night — Test your knowledge of the SDGs.
- Winter Clothing Drive — Pick-up gently-used items available for students in need of warm winter clothing.
These and other in-person and virtual events will take place throughout the week and are open to all students, staff and faculty.
For a full listing of events and to register, visit the International Development Week page on ExperienceBU.