For students living in off-campus housing across Niagara, Saturday, May 1 is an important date for lease agreements with property owners.
This typically marks the move-out date for students who have wrapped up their academic studies for the year and move-in for others who are arriving for courses or moving between rental accommodations.
With COVID-19 continuing to impact the community and the provincial stay-at-home order in place until at least Wednesday, May 19 there may be some uncertainty about the traditional move-out date.
Brock’s Off-Campus Living and Neighbourhood Relations office encourages students living off-campus and property owners to be flexible and take all steps necessary to safely follow public health guidelines.
With classes for Spring/Summer Term being delivered primarily online, students are urged to postpone their move until the stay-at-home order has been lifted. If students can remain in place at home, students may consider subletting their vacant rooms. To help with this, students can create a free ad on the Brock Off-Campus Living website.
Brock is asking students who are moving between accommodations to consider the following tips:
- Communicate with the property owner to determine if there is flexibility in your moving date.
- Develop a plan with your roommates and property owner for move in that will ensure physical distancing and adherence to public health strategies, such as properly wearing a face covering/mask and practising good hand hygiene and sanitizing.
- Consider a self-quarantine period if you are moving with others who are not in your current household and do not move if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. During this time, monitor for any symptoms and if any present, even minor, continue to self-isolate, schedule a COVID-19 test, contact your local public health.
- Be prepared — pack in advance and book any services you may need.
Brock is asking property owners to be patient and flexible with students while adhering to physical distancing requirements and the stay-at-home order. Please consider the following tips:
- Plan for move-in/out to ensure physical distancing, including staggered moving dates and times.
- Consider allowing students to keep their personal items in place.
- Offer student tenants a short-term lease such as month-to-month.
- Delay lease start dates.
- Facilitate sublets between tenants (current and future).
- Complete virtual showings and remote communication.
Property owners are also asked to follow strict cleaning and disinfecting recommendations for all surfaces and items within the home or unit and ensure appropriate measures have been taken between tenant turnover. It’s encouraged to allow at least three days between re-occupying a furnished unit.
Curbside collection of large household items and appliances is available free of charge and follows the same bi-weekly schedule as the regular garbage collection. Pick-ups must be scheduled at least two days in advance and there is a four-item limit per residential unit.
Off-campus students and property owners with questions or concerns can contact the Off-Campus Living and Neighbourhood Relations office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Answers to a wide range of questions can be found on the FAQ section of Brock’s coronavirus webpage.
For more information and updates on Brock’s COVID-19 response, please visit brocku.ca/coronavirus.