Brock University’s Joint Health and Safety Committee is seeking a non-union worker representative to fill a vacancy.
Employees interested in this volunteer leadership opportunity must not have any managerial or supervisory duties as part of their role at Brock and must work at Brock’s main campus. There is a separate committee for the Hamilton campus and the Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts.
Members of the Joint Health and Safety Committee work together to monitor, review, participate in and make recommendations on the University’s health and safety management system and culture with a goal of eliminating workplace injury and illness.
Tasks of the non-union worker representative include:
- Attending regular committee meetings, which take place every other month at a predetermined time and location.
- Working collaboratively to organize inspection times.
- Inspecting a defined area of the workplace at least twice a year.
- Being involved with any workplace industrial hygiene testing and sampling that relates to occupational safety.
- Identifying hazards and concerns and researching solutions.
- Investigating critical injuries.
Cassandra Campanella (BA ’22), Health, Safety and Wellness Assistant, says participation on the Joint Health and Safety Committee offers employees insights and access to health and safety training and resources and the opportunity to take on a leadership role outside of usual day-to-day responsibilities.
“Staff can make a great impact in the Brock community by providing input on implemented programs and policies at Brock, participate in incident reporting and contribute to the development of proactive health and safety-related programming,” she says.
An additional benefit of volunteering with the committee is the fostering of co-operation among members of the Brock community towards enhancing overall health and safety.
“Individuals who volunteer their time and service with the committee are proactively helping to keep Brock University safe,” says Campanella.
Employees interested in filling the non-union worker representative position vacancy are asked to email email@example.com