Spooky season has arrived, and while many are getting ready to hand out treats to visiting goblins and ghosts, Brock University is preparing its students for a fun and safe Halloween weekend.
Departments across campus have planned several engaging on- and off-campus events, such as visits to a pumpkin patch, Halloween movie nights, tarot card readings, pumpkin carving, a murder mystery event, glow fencing and Harry Potter-themed yoga.
Brock’s annual Trick or Eat event is also back this year, with students going door to door in local neighbourhoods on Halloween night collecting food donations for Community Care of St. Catharines and Thorold.
“There’s no shortage of opportunities for students to connect with each other and have fun this Halloween season in a safe and responsible way,” said Amber Scholtens, Interim Director, Student Life and Success.
Several educational campaigns are also taking place this month focusing on appropriate costumes, healthy relationships, and responsible drinking and substance use.
As part of the Don’t Put the Bad in Badger campaign, Brock’s Off-Campus and Neighbourhood Relations team will be going door to door Thursday, Oct. 27 in local neighbourhoods that have large student populations to promote safe and responsible celebrations. Along with encouraging appropriate behaviour, the printed materials distributed also educate students on the possible fines that can be incurred if municipal bylaws are violated.
“Many students are new to living on their own and have embraced St. Catharines and Thorold communities as their home,” said Scholtens. “Our role as a university is not only to educate students in the classroom, but also to encourage them to be responsible and community-minded leaders.”
A sample of Halloween events and initiatives is listed below. Visit ExperienceBU for more information.
Wednesday, Oct. 26
- CHYS Pumpkin Painting from 6 to 8 p.m.
- BLSA Boonanza! Games Night Edition from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Trick or Lead: Halloween Game Show Night from 7 to 8 p.m.
- Spooky Craft and Movie Night from 7 to 11 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 27
- Pumpkin Carving on Isaac’s Patio from noon to 3 p.m.
- Treat yourself to a safe(r) Halloween from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Pumpkin Paint and Decorate with Spooktober Trivia from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Pumpkin Carving Night from 6:30 to 9 p.m.
- Netflix and Thrill from 7 to 9:30 p.m.
- Pumpkins in the Pool Fun Swim
- Isaac’s Halloween Party (19+) from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Friday, Oct. 28
- Student Life Pumpkin Carving from 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- CESA Pumpkin Carving Contest from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Substance Choices Seminar from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Spooky Shapes Game Jam from 5 to 10 p.m.
- Howell’s Halloween Pumpkin Patch from 5:45 to 9 p.m.
- Women’s and men’s volleyball games at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., respectively
- Brock Golden Key Halloween Social from 7 to 8 p.m.
- The Werewolf Hunt from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Clubs Halloween Movie Night from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Flamingos Halloween Movie Fright Night from 7:30 to 10 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 29
- Spooky Shapes Game Jam from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Men’s volleyball game at 3 p.m.
- Men’s hockey game at 4 p.m.
- Off-Campus Communities Campfire Meetup from 6 to 9 p.m.
- Men’s lacrosse playoff game at 7 p.m.
Monday, Oct. 31
- Tarot Card Readings at Union Station from noon to 1 p.m.
- Harry Potter-Themed Yoga from 1 to 1:50 p.m.
- Trick or Eat Donation Collection from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Walker Complex Murder Mystery from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- BU4U Trick or Treat Scavenger Hunt
- Glow Intro to Fencing