Norman Witteveen loves his job as a custodian — and always has.
He enjoys the people and the environment and takes pride in his work.
After 33 years spent keeping Brock University a clean, safe and welcoming place, Witteveen will be retiring this month, along with nine other Brock employees.
Witteveen started his Brock career as a casual employee working in different areas of the University. Seven months into his role, he secured a full-time permanent position, first for the night shift and then three years later for the day shift. After six years at Brock, he moved to the Schmon Tower, and has enjoyed tending to it since.
“I always took pride in my work and tried to do the best job I could to make Brock look its best,” said Witteveen, who was promoted to Leadhand seven years ago. “I enjoyed working and connecting with others and talking with faculty, staff, colleagues and students in the hallways as I worked. I loved working in Special Collections as I love history and would talk with staff about articles.”
Some of Witteveen’s favourite memories of working at Brock include participating in the University’s annual employee Wellness Day and going to Mandarin restaurant as a reward for perfect attendance, an accolade he achieved annually for nearly a decade.
Shelly Gianetto-Hill, Witteveen’s supervisor, thanked him for three decades of dedicated service.
“Over the years, Norm’s hard work awarded him a leadhand custodian position, which he fulfilled by helping the department, his co-workers and Brock University,” she said. “I wish Norm well in his retirement and would like to congratulate him on the next phase of his life.”
In his retirement, Witteveen plans to relax, catch up with family and friends, and work on home projects.
Although his official retirement date is Thursday, June 30, Witteveen plans to use vacation time to leave early. His last day of work is Thursday, June 9.
A celebration was held last month for Witteveen and other retiring and retired Facilities Management employees.
Employees retiring in June 2022
- Patti Froese, Supervisor, Project and Administrative Support Office, Information Technology Services — 40 years of service
- Sharon Smith, Circulation Clerk, Instructional Resource Centre, Faculty of Education — 36 years of service
- Norman Witteveen, Leadhand, Custodial Services, Facilities Management — 33 years of service
- Marian Jusko, Custodian, Custodial Services, Facilities Management — 21 years of service
- Bozena Juskova, Custodian, Custodial Services, Facilities Management — 19 years of service
- Janet Muenzberger, Project Manager, Capital Planning and Project Management, Facilities Management — 19 years of service
- Darlene Bay, Professor, Accounting, Goodman School of Business — 18 years of service
- Denise Armstrong, Professor, Educational Studies, Faculty of Education — 17 years of service
- Candace Figg, Professor, Educational Studies, Faculty of Education — 16 years of service
- Jack Lightstone, Professor, History, Faculty of Humanities, and former Brock University President — 16 years of service