University buildings throughout Brock’s main campus, east campus and satellite locations will be locked and closed during the holidays beginning Friday, Dec. 22 at 10 p.m. They will re-open for regular business hours Tuesday, Jan. 2.
Call Campus Security when entering and leaving a building
Personal safety should be top of mind. Campus Security Services asks that all employees call x3200 with their location when entering and leaving a building. Lab activities should not be conducted alone. Employees should have their Brock identification with them at all times and be able to produce it if asked.
In case of a fire or other serious emergency, call 911. If there’s a fire, pull a fire alarm and immediately leave the building. Call Campus Security Services at x3200 to pinpoint the location and facilitate response.
Building or grounds-related emergency
If a building or grounds-related emergency, such as broken glass, loss of power or flooding, occurs from Dec. 23 to Jan. 1, employees are asked to call Campus Security Services at x3200. Heating setbacks and ventilation reductions will be in effect during the holiday closure.
Facilities Management contractors
If contract work is expected during the holiday closure, email Campus Security Services before Dec. 20 with specified times and dates. Brock University identification or contractor identification must be produced.
Entering a building with proxy/swipe access
Individuals with proxy/swipe access to a building’s exterior doors may enter if authorized to do so during the holiday closure. Auto alarm systems are still in effect during the closure, so have your code ready. Only select buildings have auto alarm systems. If employees have not been given an access code, their building is not affected.
Buildings with proxy/swipe access include:
- 573 Glenridge Ave.
- Brock Research and Innovation Centre (BRIC)
- Cairns Family Health and Bioscience Research Complex
- Central Utilities Building
- Inniskillin Hall (proxy entrance)
- International Centre
- Mackenzie Chown Blocks D, F, J (swipe entrances)
- Mackenzie Chown Blocks B and H (proxy entrances)
- Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts
- Plaza Building
- Taro Hall
- Theal House
- Welch Hall
Entering a building without proxy/swipe access
Individuals without proxy/swipe access must enter the University through the doors at Scotiabank Hall near the Tim Hortons in Thistle Complex (see map below). Campus Security will be stationed inside the Scotiabank doors during the holiday closure from 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. Employees will be asked for identification, the reason for their visit and length of stay. Employees are asked to call Campus Security Services at x3200 when they leave. If the doors are locked, press emergency phone #67 or call 905-688-5550 x3200 to ask an officer to open the doors.
There will be free parking at the main campus from Dec. 23 to Jan. 1. Parking regulations still apply:
- No parking overnight (between 2 and 5 a.m.)
- No parking in a fire route or in bus stops.
- Accessible permits must be displayed while parking in accessible spaces.
- Obstructing roads, laneways or loading/unloading areas is prohibited.
- Parking on landscaped areas or walkways is prohibited.
Regular parking operations will resume Tuesday, Jan. 2. Should there be a snow event, Visitor Lot D will be cleared first and available for parking.
Other than vending machines, no food service will be available on campus from Dec. 22 at 3 p.m. to Monday, Jan. 1. Several private food outlets will be open on the east side of Glenridge Avenue, immediately opposite the main campus.
Guernsey Market, Hungry Badger and the Tim Hortons in the Schmon Tower will reopen on Tuesday, Jan. 2:
- Guernsey Market: Tuesday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 5 — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Hungry Badger: Tuesday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 5 — 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tim Hortons, Schmon Tower: Tuesday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 5 — 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Regular hours of operations return Sunday, Jan. 7, with Guernsey Market open from noon to 9:30 p.m.
The Goodman School of Business expansion project construction site will be active during the break.
Brock Research and Innovation Centre
- Saturday, Dec. 23 to Tuesday, Dec. 26 — CLOSED
- Wednesday, Dec. 27 to Friday, Dec. 29 — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 30 to Monday, Jan. 1 — CLOSED
Regular hours resume on Tuesday, Jan. 2 from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Cairns Family Health and Bioscience Research Complex
The Cairns Complex will require proxy/swipe access at all times. Temporary proxy/swipe cards will not be issued for the holidays.
James A. Gibson Library and Matheson Learning Commons
- Monday, Dec. 18 — 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. (the following day)
- Tuesday, Dec. 19 — 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 20 — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 21 — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 22 — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 23 to Monday, Jan. 1 — CLOSED
- Tuesday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 5 — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 6 to Sunday, Jan. 7 — CLOSED
Regular hours resume Monday, Jan. 8 from 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Construction affecting elevators in the main lobby of Schmon Tower will take place leading up to and during the holiday closure. Elevator routines may be altered. For access to the Library until Dec. 23, refer to the Library Circulation Desk for assistance.
Map, Data & GIS Library
- Friday, Dec. 22 — 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 23 to Monday, Jan. 1 — CLOSED
- Tuesday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 5 — 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Regular hours resume Monday, Jan. 8 from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts
Access to the Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts (MIWSFPA) is available to employees who are authorized to enter the building during the holidays. All doors to the MIWSFPA will be locked with access to the building via proxy/swipe only. Employees are asked to sign in and out with Campus Security Services at the office located in the main lobby.
If employees require access to a particular room or area in the building and do not have access, they are asked to call Campus Security Services at x6300 or x3200 for access. For safety and security reasons, employees may be asked to show their Brock ID.
If employees require access to the building over the holidays, but do not have proxy access to the exterior doors, contact Campus Security Services at x6300 or x3200 by Dec. 20 to arrange access.
All residences (except Brock Suites) will be closed for the winter break from Wednesday, Dec. 20 at noon to Sunday, Jan. 7 at noon.
For further information and details regarding this closure, refer to the End of Term Notice on the Department of Residences website.
Walker Sports Complex
- Saturday, Dec. 23 — 8 a.m. to noon.
- Sunday, Dec. 24 to Tuesday, Dec. 26 — CLOSED
- Wednesday, Dec. 27 to Sunday, Dec. 31 — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 1 — CLOSED
- Tuesday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 5 — 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 6 — 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 7 to Monday, Jan. 8 — 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
From Dec. 27 to 31, visitors are asked to enter the Walker Sports Complex through the west doors by the tennis courts. Please check pool hours before coming to campus. Custodial Services will be provided at the Walker Sports Complex during hours of operation over the holiday closure.
- Saturday, Dec. 23 — noon to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 24 to Monday, Dec. 25 — CLOSED
- Tuesday, Dec. 26 to Saturday, Dec. 30 — noon to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 31 to Monday, Jan. 1 — CLOSED
If you have further questions regarding this notice after Dec. 22, please contact Campus Security Services at x3200.