Another collection of historically significant artifacts is being donated to the Brock archives.
The donation of the Woodruff Family Collection to the University will be recognized Tuesday at a presentation in the Sean O’Sullivan Theatre Lobby.
The Woodruffs came to Niagara shortly after the American Revolution and became a prominent political, social and economic force in the area and within Upper Canada.
Local oenophiles may already be familiar with a Woodruff family landmark. The Woodruff House was rebuilt at Ravine Vineyard in St. Davids in 2009 and serves as the winery’s tasting room.
The collection being donated to the University is 11 boxes of archival records that chronicle the family’s involvement in the War of 1812, the building of the second Welland Canal, the Upper Canada Rebellions, constructing roads and railways, environmental conservation, the First World War, business, politics, and much more.
Overall, this collection touches on every major aspect of life in Upper Canada/Ontario particularly during the nineteenth century and often in fine detail.
It contains a land document signed by Isaac Brock, letters from William Hamilton Merritt, engineering plans for the second Welland Canal, and the records of one of the earliest environmental conservation efforts in Ontario.
The entire collection is valued at $325,000. The Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board recently certified it as being of outstanding significance and national importance.
The donation presentation happens from 11 a.m. to noon. Items from the collection will be on display at the announcement and in the Special Collections and Archives. Members of the Band/Taylor family, who donated the items, will also be on hand.