With Winter Term now in session, Health, Safety and Wellness (HSW) is reminding the Brock community to be mindful of snow and ice on walking areas and in parking lots.
Although the University proactively clears walkways and parking lots as part of grounds maintenance, the risk of slipping, tripping and falling can increase during the winter season, particularly during storms when snow accumulation is significant.
HSW is sharing the following reminders:
- Don’t rush or travel too quickly for the walking surface conditions.
- Pay attention to your surroundings while walking.
- Don’t take shortcuts through non-pedestrian/non-designated areas, such as snow banks or unclear paths.
- Be sure to wear appropriate footwear for the conditions outdoors.
- Carrying large objects can obstruct your vision and limit your ability to brace yourself in a fall.
If you encounter slippery conditions on outdoor walking surfaces, report slip and trip circumstances:
- Notify your supervisor of slip and trip circumstances you encounter. Complete and submit and injury/incident form with your supervisor on slip and fall incidents or close calls.
- Contact Facilities Management grounds/customer service at x3717 on outdoor slip and trip circumstances.
- Contact Campus Security Services at x3200 for urgent slip and trip circumstances found outside of regular business hours.
More information is available on the Preventing slips, trips and falls safety bulletin, through the Slip Trip and Fall Prevention Program, and in the Slip, Trip and Fall Prevention Training module from on Sakai.
Questions can be directed to HSW at email@example.com or x7233.