Twenty-four Brock researchers have received a combined total of nearly $60,000 through two internal programs that help faculty advance their programs of research.
The Brock University Advancement Fund (BUAF) provides Brock researchers in all faculties with funding to complete preliminary research in preparation for submitting to an external granting agency. BUAF Research Seed Grants help faculty members develop a program of research that is innovative and worthy of funding by external research sponsors. They also promote the research agendas of individual researchers and research teams. This internal award also provides modest financial support for special pursuits related to research interests, called special purpose grants.
The other program is the Brock SSHRC Institutional Grant (BSIG), a Research Seed Grant that helps faculty members develop a program of research that is innovative and worthy of funding by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
The recipients of the BUAF manuscript preparation grants include Sherryl Vint, English; Katharine T. von Stackelberg, Classics; and Michael Ripmeester, principal investigator, Geography, along with Chris Fullerton and Philip Mackintosh, co-PIs, Geography. The recipient of the BUAF grant for travel to an international conference is David Fancy, Dramatic Arts.
Research seed grants under BUAF were awarded to:
- Ayda Tekok-Kilic, Child and Youth Studies
- David Ditor, Physical Education and Kinesiology
- Nota Klentrou, Physical Education and Kinesiology
- Allan Adkin, Physical Education and Kinesiology
- Sampsa Samila, Marketing and International Business and Strategy
- Liette Vasseur, Biology
The BSIG recipients include:
- Christine Tardif-Williams (Child and Youth Studies) and Sandra Bosaki (Education)
- Lester Kwong, Economics
- Denise Armstrong and Vera Woloshyn, both Education
- Duncan MacDonald, Visual Arts
- Tami Friedman, History
- Renée Nicole Lafferty, History
- Ning Wang, History
- John Sorenson, Sociology
- Alexey Nikitkov, Accounting
- Skander Lazrak, Finance, Operations and Information Systems
The Office of Research Services holds two competitions each year for these internal awards. The next deadline will be Monday, March 21. For more information on internal awards, visit brocku.ca/research