Babysitter Training Course
(Students in grade 6 or above)
Led by Brock University students, this course will help youth 12 or older become a successful and sought-after babysitter.
The course material covers topics such as:
- Caring for children from three months to school-aged
- Engaging and creative activities for your back pocket
- All behaviour is communication
- Handling emergencies
- Caring for a sick, home sick or injured child
- Prevention and basic first aid
- What you need to know before accepting a job
Students must attend all sessions and establish a passing grade of 75 per cent on the final examination in order to receive their Canada Safety Council certificate. These will take place virtually on MS Teams.
The Home Alone Program
(Students in grade 4 or above)
The Home Alone Program is designed to provide children 10 years of age and older with the necessary skills and knowledge to be safe and responsible when home alone. This is a great course for youth who may be coming home from school on their own and will be home alone for short periods of time. Youth University staff will help them understand how to prevent problems and handle real-life situations. Students will also learn ways to keep themselves engaged, constructively occupied and of course safe.
The course material covers such topics as:
- Establishing a routine
- Basic First Aid
- Internet Safety
- Being ready for the unexpected
(Students in grades 3 to 6 AND their grownups)
Dates to be added in the future.
We are all having more and more fun online! We invite youth in grades 3, 4, 5 & 6, along with their grown-up to join us is learning helpful and practical tips to stay safe online.
Topics will include:
- Your digital footprint
- Sharing photos or oversharing!
- Following YouTube & all social media rules
- Safe online gaming (including Roblox)