Summer is finally just around the corner – longer days, shorter nights, and colder drinks! As you enjoy your time off, we wanted to share some helpful tips on how to have a more sustainable summer:
- Take advantage of natural light – turn the lights off during the day and open the curtains!
- Whenever possible, turn off the AC and open the windows to get some fresh air.
- Challenge yourself to grow your own food! There are many online guides to assist in this rewarding practice.
- Go to your local farmers market for produce instead of larger chain grocery stores (**Make sure to check your local COVID-19 guidelines**)
- If you need to go somewhere, opt for walking or riding your bike instead of driving and take advantage of the nice weather – don’t forget your mask!
- Instead of using a dryer – line dry your clothes in the sun.
- When using sunscreen, opt for non-toxic sunscreen – better for your skin and the planet!
- Make sure to use a reusable bottle when staying hydrated.
- Want to grill your food? Opt for a propane gas grill, which burns cleaner than charcoal.
- Plant a tree on your property – future summers will be a lot cooler with the nice shade it will provide!
Make sure to check and follow your local COVID-19 guidelines while enjoying the weather this summer. If you adopt some of these sustainable practices, make sure to tell your friends and family as it could influence them to have a more sustainable summer as well.
Have a safe, fun, and sustainable summer, Badgers!
- (2011, July). 21 Simple Eco-Friendly Summer Tips. Biofriendly Planet | For a Cooler Environment.https://biofriendlyplanet.com/green-ideas/eco-friendly/21-simple-eco-friendly-summer-tips/
- GME Marketing. (2018, May). Top 10 Tips for a Sustainable Summer. Green Mountain Energy Company. https://www.greenmountainenergy.com/2013/06/top-10-tips-for-a-sustainable-summer/