Brock University and Niagara College have joined forces to host a virtual spring clean–up from Saturday, April 17th to Sunday, April 25th, 2021. The institutions have also created a virtual clean–up toolkit in order to engage and empower the community to join along.
With global issues such as climate change, it is easy to feel a sense of hopelessness about the environment. Taking action by cleaning up your local community is a way to be an advocate for sustainability, while also creating a sense of hope that small actions can help target big issues. The goal of the toolkit is to empower individuals to make a difference within their communities by providing them with resources to safely host their own virtual clean-up anywhere, anytime!
How do I sign up for the virtual clean-up?
Click this link to sign up via Experience BU and participate anytime between Saturday, April 17th to Sunday, April 25th
Why should I join or host a virtual clean-up?
- Spending time outdoors and engaging in conservation activities can help foster a connection to local communities and ecosystems.
- There is a strong connection between time spent in nature and reduced negative emotions including anxiety, depression, and irritability as well as headaches and indigestion (Ontario Parks, 2020)
- You can help better your own local community and make a difference for the environment.
- Become aware of the garbage that is most common in your own community and help spread awareness.
- Students can help fulfil volunteer hours for the WWF-Canada Living Planet Leader Certification.
What is in the virtual clean-up toolkit?
There are currently three guides available: for students, for community members, and for organizations. Each guide provides unique resources for the respective group.
The Student Guide Includes:
- Resources about how your participation in the virtual clean-up can contribute towards your Living Planet Leader Certification.
- A list of tips to help you get started with your own virtual clean-up.
- COVID-19 health and safety guidelines.
- A virtual clean-up checklist.
If you have any questions about how to join or host a virtual clean-up, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org