Associate Professor, Labour Studies
Office: PLZ 333
PhD, York Univeristy
MA, McMaster University
BA(Hons.), University of Toronto
Unions and Labour Movements
Care Work and Social Reproduction
Racism, Racialization, and Work
Social Movement Organizing, Collective Action, and Social Change
Labour, Cities, and Urban Inequality
Marxist, Feminist, and Anti-Racist Theory
- Black, Simon. 2022. “Essential But Not Empowered: Reflections on the Working Class in Canada Under COVID-19.” Studies in Political Economy 103 (2): 130-152.
- Black, Simon. 2021. “Community Unionism and Alt-Labour in Canada.” In Rethinking the Politics of Labour in Canada, Second Edition, (eds.) Stephanie Ross and Larry Savage. Halifax: Fernwood.
- Black, Simon. 2020. Social Reproduction and the City: Welfare, Child Care, and Resistance in Neoliberal New York. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.
- Black, Simon. 2019. “Playing Left Wing: Renewing a Political Economy of Sport.” Pp. 315-332 in Change and Continuity: Canadian Political Economy in the New Millenium, (eds.) Mark P. Thomas, Leah F. Vosko, Carlo Fanelli and Olena Lyubchenko. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press
- Black, Simon. 2018. “Community Unionism Without the Community? Lessons from Labor-Community Coalitions in the Canadian Child Care Sector.” Labour Studies Journal 43 (2): 118-140.
- Black, Simon. 2018. “Anti-Unionism in Professional Sport: The Case of the CHL.” Pp. 83-97 in Labour Under Attack: Anti-Unionism in Canada, (eds.) Stephanie Ross and Larry Savage. Halifax: Fernwood.
- Black, Simon (Producer/Researcher). 2017. It Takes A Riot: Race, Rebellion, Reform. Documentary Short.
- Black, Simon. 2017. “In Defence of ‘Gold-Plated’ Child Care: Union Struggles to Preserve Quality Care and Quality Care Work in Toronto.” Pp. 189-207 in Unions and the City: Negotiating Urban Change, (ed.) Ian MacDonald. New York: Cornell University Press.