Associate Professor, Labour Studies
- Care work, social reproduction, and resistance
- Community unionism and ‘alt-labour’
- Unions, urban policymaking, and urban neoliberalism
- Athletic labour, workers’ rights and activism in high-performance sport
- Work and racism
- Black, Simon. 2021. “Community Unionism and Alt-Labour in Canada.” In Rethinking the Politics of Labour in Canada, Second Edition, (eds.) Stephanie Ross and Larry Savage. Halifax: Fernwood.
- Black, Simon. 2020. Social Reproduction and the City: Welfare, Child Care, and Resistance in Neoliberal New York. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.
- Black, Simon. 2019. “Playing Left Wing: Renewing a Political Economy of Sport.” Pp. 315-332 in Change and Continuity: Canadian Political Economy in the New Millenium, (eds.) Mark P. Thomas, Leah F. Vosko, Carlo Fanelli and Olena Lyubchenko. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press
- Black, Simon. 2018. “Community Unionism Without the Community? Lessons from Labor-Community Coalitions in the Canadian Child Care Sector.” Labour Studies Journal 43 (2): 118-140.
- Black, Simon. 2018. “Anti-Unionism in Professional Sport: The Case of the CHL.” Pp. 83-97 in Labour Under Attack: Anti-Unionism in Canada, (eds.) Stephanie Ross and Larry Savage. Halifax: Fernwood.
- Black, Simon (Producer/Researcher). 2017. It Takes A Riot: Race, Rebellion, Reform. Documentary Short.
- Black, Simon. 2017. “In Defence of ‘Gold-Plated’ Child Care: Union Struggles to Preserve Quality Care and Quality Care Work in Toronto.” Pp. 189-207 in Unions and the City: Negotiating Urban Change, (ed.) Ian MacDonald. New York: Cornell University Press.