Frequently Asked Questions

Department of Child and Youth Studies

Frequently Asked Questions

Why see your CHYS Department Co-ordinator/Academic Advisor?

  • to discuss your program plan and make sure you are on track
  • to discuss any problems which affect academic performance
  • to declare a major
  • to discuss academic progress
  • to discuss getting a Letter of Permission
  • to discuss career considerations

How to see the CHYS Department Co-ordinator/Academic Advisor?

  • Become familiar with advisor's office hours/schedule.
  • Whenever possible, book an appointment instead of dropping by without one.
  • To book an appointment, click on “CHYS Academic Advising”.

When do I register for my courses?
For Registration Tips for CHYS Students, please click here (PDF).

Students register in accordance to the number of credits they have accumulated. Check the registration schedule to see when the registration system becomes available to you. Please refer to

It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that the courses selected meet the academic degree requirements and adhere to restrictions, course prerequisites, and published deadlines. When reviewing the description of prerequisites remember to read punctuation carefully. For example, for CHYS 2P35 the prerequisites are listed as follows, “CHYS 1F90; CHSC 1F90 or PSYC 1F90.” The semi-colon means “and”.

So, you need CHYS 1F90 and CHSC 1F90 OR PSYC 1F90.

Please note: Students may not enroll in courses which conflict in time without the written approval of each instructor . All courses and program are subject to enrolment limitations.

How do I know which courses I need to register in?
The Child and Youth Studies department maintains a list of approved course combinations, which make up the “program”. You must fulfill the program requirements as specified by CHYS. Program requirements for all undergraduate degrees, including CHYS, can be found in the current undergraduate calendar and can be confirmed by your Department Co-ordinator/Academic Advisor.

Am I able to take more than five credits during the Fall/Winter session?
As stated in the Brock Undergraduate calendar, ‘a student wishing to exceed a normal course load must obtain the permission of the Dean of their chosen major. Permission will normally be granted only if a student has completed five credits with at least second-class honours (70 percent) standing'.

How many credits are required to be a full or part time student at Brock?
As stated in the Brock Undergraduate Calendar...

Full-Time studies is defined as:

a) A student enrolled in three or more credits over the Fall/Winter Session.
b) A student enrolled in three credits over the Spring and Summer Sessions.

Part-Time studies is defined as:

a) A student enrolled in less than three credits over the Fall/Winter Session
b) A student enrolled in less than three credits over the Spring and Summer Sessions

What are context credits?
All students must include one credit (or two half-credits) from each of the list of Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences courses to fulfill degree requirements. In some cases, a context credit may be part of the major program's requirements. Students in four-year professional programs must fulfill context requirements by the end of the third year of the program. All other students must have completed all three of the required context courses within the first 10 credits.

*In cases where subjects are listed under two categories, only one of the requirements may be satisfied by that course (e.g., GEOG 1F90 is taken to fulfill the requirement for the Social Sciences option, GEOG 1F91 may not be taken to fulfill the sciences requirement).
*History majors may not use a history credit to satisfy the social science context requirement.
Please refer to the Brock Undergraduate Calendar and utilize the link to Academic Regulations to review the credits that will satisfy the context credit requirement.

Am I expected to attend lecture?
Students are expected to attend all lectures, discussion groups, seminars and laboratory periods of courses in which they are registered. Instructors must inform students about the relationship between attendance and course grades early in each session.

What sort of electives should I take?
All three streams of the Child and Youth Studies program have several electives to enable students to choose courses to suit their individual needs. Child and Youth Studies majors are encouraged to select courses from other departments to broaden their academic experience.

Department of Child and Youth Studies Student Handbook (2006/2007) Page 13 of 21 reflect their interests and career goals. Students are encouraged to research the academic background necessary for subsequent professional qualifications and then use electives to take relevant courses. For example, Linguistics courses are listed as recommended electives for further study in Communication Disorders. Students considering careers in teaching should take credits relevant to education. Although a “teachable” subject (a minimum of 3 full credits in one “teachable” discipline) is not required in the Primary/Junior division in Ontario , we encourage majors to consider using electives for this purpose to maintain flexibility.

For students interested in a teachable in Mathematics, MATH 1F92, 1P66, 2P90, 2P93 and 3P91 are encouraged. Overrides may be requested from the Mathematics Department. We also encourage students to consider a broad range of subjects, for example, second language, physical education, social studies, visual or performing arts.

Drama and Theatre in Education: There are several courses which may be of interest to potential educators, social and community workers and therapists. For example DART 2P01, 2P02. More information is available in the Undergraduate Calendar.

What are cross-listed courses?
Some courses are linked to another department, and in some cases, more than one. Students normally register in such a course by using the codes for their department major.

For example, CHYS 2F01 is cross-listed with EDUC 2F01 and Child and Youth Studies majors would use the BIRT codes for CHYS. The grade for a cross-listed course is used in average calculations regardless of which department was entered for registration purposes.

Note: If students want to change the department designation for any reason, they should read the regulations in the Undergraduate Calendar. For example, CHYS 3P83 is sometimes changed by students to SOCI 3P83 in order to be attributed to a minor credit in Sociology.

Cross-listed courses with Child and Youth Studies are listed as follows: CHYS/EDUC 2F01, CHYS/SOCI 2P38, CHYS/LING/PSYC 2P99, CHYS/PSYC 3P11, CHYS/PSYC 3P23, CHYS/SOCI/WISE 3P44, CHYS/EDUC 3P50, CHYS/EDUC 3P52, CHYS/LING/PSYC 3P61, CHYS/PSYC 3P74, CHYS/CHSC 3P80, CHYS/SOCI 3P83, CHYS/PSYC 3Q33, CHYS/PSYC 4F31, CHYS/SOCI 4P38, CHYS/PSYC 4P56.

Which Undergraduate Calendar do I use?
There is one undergraduate academic calendar to use as a reference for each year of study. A student who has maintained enrolment in at least one credit in each calendar year (May to April) may complete the degree program using the “Academic Regulations” section of the Undergraduate Calendar operative in the year in which that program was entered. However, students who interrupt their studies for one or more years become subject to the Undergraduate Calendar regulations in effect at the time of their re-registration. Current and archived versions of the undergraduate calendar are available on-line here. The Undergraduate calendar provides information about undergraduate degree programs, special study opportunities, and undergraduate regulations and procedures.

How do I drop/withdraw from a course?
A student may voluntarily withdraw from the university and/or courses without academic penalty by informing the Office of the Registrar, in writing, by the dates specified for that year.

How do I select a major?
A major is a specific area of emphasis within a degree program. Students following a major will have a set of core courses to complete, as well as certain number of electives (which may or may not include restricted electives).

Students normally choose an area of major during or just after their first year. A student may major in any subject in which a grade of 60 percent or better was obtained in the required introductory course(s), provided that departmental prerequisites have been met. Transfer students admitted to a specific program, who subsequently elect to change their major, may have the applicability of the transfer credits re-evaluated. For some programs, students may lose some transfer credits if they change majors after being admitted to Brock.

How do I apply to become a CHYS Major?
Students who are already admitted to Brock and may be undeclared majors or wish to change to Child and Youth Studies should apply by using the following procedure: Students must file a completed Child and Youth Studies application form by May 1st. Forms will be available on September 1 through the CHYS website. Late applications will not be accepted. Only successful applicants will be notified by Child and Youth Studies. If students have not been contacted by early July, they may contact the Child and Youth Studies Department Coordinator at (905) 688-5550, ext. 4299, to determine the status of their application.

How do I declare my major?
When a student applies to the CHYS Department to become a major the student should fill out and attach the Declare/Change major form to the application. The Declare/Change Major form is available through the Registrar's Office web-site here, then click on “Forms”, then click on “Declare or Change Major”.

If the student has been admitted to the CHYS program the Declare/Change Major form is signed by the Departmental Chair, Co-ordinator or Administrator. In the instance where a student would like to do a combined degree with another department, the form is signed by the Departmental Chair, Co-ordinator or Administrator of the other department, as well.

How do I become a combined major?
A combined major program is established in two individual departments/centres and normally consists of a course pattern including at least 5.0 credits in each major discipline for a 15 credit degree and at least 7.0 credits in each major discipline for a 20 credit degree, where applicable.

What is a minor?
A minor is distinct from a student's major or combined major, and requires from four to six credits as designated by the relevant academic Department/Centre. Students wishing to obtain a minor may not use the same course(s) to satisfy both the major requirement and the minor requirement.

What is a concentration?
A concentration in an honours degree normally requires a minimum of six credits from a list of courses approved by the relevant academic Department/Centre. A concentration enables students to pursue studies within their major or combined major program.

What courses do I need to complete my degree?
If you are a CHYS major, it is a good idea to come in to see your Co-ordinator/Advisor to complete a program plan to make sure you have all your degree requirements.

Click here to view a Child and Youth Studies Program Plan for a BA Pass or Honours Degree (PDF)

How many credits do I need to graduate?
This will vary by stream. Please come in for a program plan so we can go over your degree requirements.

Students working on a 3-year BA pass will need the equivalent of 15 full credits to graduate. The Calendar reads, in all 15 credit program at least seven credits must be numbered 2(alpha) 00 or above (essentially year two credits), three of which must be numbered 2(alpha)90 or above (essentially year three credits).

Students working on a 4-year Honours degree will need the equivalent of 20 full credits to graduate. The Calendar reads, in all 20 credit programs, at least twelve credits must be numbered 2(alpha)00 or above (essentially year two credits, six of which must be numbered 2(alpha)90 or above (essentially year three credits), three must be numbered 3 (alpha) 90 or above.

What is a Degree Audit?
An academic advisor/Department Co-ordinator can conduct a degree audit for any student who is a single or combined major in Child and Youth Studies. A degree audit consists of looking over a student's academic record to verify they are meeting or have all degree and program requirements. A student may request a degree audit at any time to insure they are on the right track.

Child and Youth Studies majors single or combined are advised to plan their program of study in consultation with the Department Co-ordinator/Academic Advisor in the Child and Youth Studies Department.

How do I apply to take a course at another University to be counted towards my Brock degree?
As stated in the 2009-10 Brock Undergraduate Calendar (p.22) Brock students wishing to enrol at another university and transfer credits towards a Brock degree must apply for, and be granted, a Letter of Permission from the Office of the Registrar before registering at the other university. A university calendar description of the course(s) to be taken and the Letter of Permission fee of $35.00 must be submitted, with the application, to the Office of the Registrar.

Please note the following conditions:

  • A maximum of five credits may be completed by Letter of Permission.
  • A Letter of Permission is normally restricted to students who have successfully completed five credits at Brock with a minimum 60 percent overall average.
  • A Letter of Permission is not issued for a student to complete more than two of the last five credits of a degree.
  • Courses taken on a Letter of Permission will be marked as Pass or Fail and will not be used in determining any student average.

The Letter of Permission application form can be downloaded from the Registrar's Office or picked up from the Office of the Registrar.

Please note: Normally, Child and Youth Studies does not give permission for students to take required courses at other universities. Most required courses have unique aspects which do not have equivalence elsewhere. There are exceptions such as PSYC 1F90, SOCI 1F90. If students wish to take courses on a letter of permission, we encourage them to take electives.

Can I Challenge for Credit?
Challenge for credit is not available for any Child and Youth Studies courses.

If I go on an exchange would any of the credits be accepted as Child and Youth Studies courses?
To study in another country is an excellent opportunity for students to broaden their horizons. They participate in a different academic system, have the chance to develop international friendships and experience a different culture. However, CHYS majors are encouraged to focus on completing elective credit courses while on exchange because many required CHYS courses are unique to Brock. Normally, CHYS 3P10 and 3P15 must be completed at Brock. Course substitutions or equivalents must be approved by the Child and Youth Studies Department. Concurrent CHYS BA/BEd majors should note that participating in an exchange program needs approval from the Concurrent Education Programs Office and may delay completion of the program.

Where do I find information relating to Academic Probation, Academic Suspension and Debarment?
Please refer to Academic Advising Services for information on Academic Probation, Academic Suspension and Debarment.

Can I repeat a course that I failed?
Yes, a student may repeat a failed course, but no course may be repeated more than once. Both grades will remain on the student's transcript but the second grade will be used in the computation of the student's average.

Can I repeat a course that I passed?
As stated in the Brock Undergraduate calendar, students may repeat a course in which they have received a passing grade. The grade awarded for a repeated course will supersede the grade from the first attempt at the course regardless of whether it is higher or lower. Both grades will remain on the student's transcript but the second grade, whether higher or lower, will be used in the computation of the student's average. A student will be permitted to repeat passed courses constituting no more than three credits, but no course may be repeated more than once.

First year courses (numbered 1 (alpha) 00 to 1( alpha )99) and courses listed as prerequisites may not be repeated if credit has been received for higher level courses in the same subject.

What is the average to remain in the CHYS program?
Child and Youth Studies majors require a minimum 60 percent cumulative major average to progress to years 2 and 3. This average is calculated on all CHYS (and cross-listed) courses and PSYC 1F90 and SOCI 1F90; one of PSYC 2F23, MATH 1F92, SOCI 2P11, 2P13 (for combined CHYS/SOCI majors).

What do I need to be accepted into the CHYS year 4 Honours program?
Applicants to year 4 require a minimum 70 percent major average and 60 percent in non-major credits. In addition, students who apply to complete an individual or group thesis must have a minimum combined average of 75% in CHYS 3P10 and CHYS 3P15.

What do I need to apply to Concurrent CHYS BA (Pass)/BEd?
To apply to the CHYS BA/BEd stream s tudents must achieve 75 percent cumulative average in their overall standing in all academic grade marked courses.

My major average fell below the required 60 percent, what happens now?
Student academic records are scrutinized in June when all marks are available for the academic year. Students who have failed to maintain the required 60% major average are notified in writing that they are unable to continue in their major at that time. They are advised that they can upgrade and apply for reinstatement. A request to upgrade may be granted only once and for only one full academic year (Spring, Summer, Fall/Winter). This means that if students do not maintain a required major average of 60 percent for a second time, they cannot request reinstatement again.

Can I enter Teacher Education with this degree? Is it a teachable? What are teachables?
Not all subjects, such as sociology, are considered teachables by all Teacher Education programs, however, it is possible to major in a non-teachable and take teachables as electives. Students must investigate the varying requirements of different Teacher Education programs. For the Faculties of Education in Ontario a great resource is the TEAS booklet available to download and peruse on the following web-site, then click on “TEAS booklet”.

Another great resource is Phyllis Stanley, Admissions Counsellor for the Faculty of Education here at Brock. Phyllis is available at and will assist students with questions about Teacher Education.

What possible other careers could I pursue other than teaching with a degree in Child and Youth Studies?
A Child and Youth Studies degree provides an academic background which can be applied to a wide variety of careers related to children. A few entry positions are open to students with relevant experience; particularly in social services, for example, support workers or residential counsellors. Most careers, however, require professional graduate qualifications as well as an undergraduate degree.

The following examples are only a few of the many careers that Child and Youth Studies graduates are following: child protection worker, speech-language pathologist, special needs worker, youth worker, occupational therapist, child life specialist, sales representative for children's products, psychometrist, community college teacher, preschool integration coordinator, elementary school teacher.

Further information on careers can be obtained from the Child and Youth Studies Coordinator, and from binders available in the Child and Youth Studies Office. Child and Youth Studies also offers an annual Careers Night which features alumni who share their career experiences and information about specific programs and careers.

Students are also encouraged to consult with Career Services, which is located in the Learning Commons. There is a drop-in service with Career Assistants to provide help to students with their career planning process (self-assessment, researching, decision making, or job search). Other services include: employment workshops, resource libraries, on-campus recruiting, job postings, careers fairs, ASK (alumni sharing occupational information). Student may also wish to take advantage of Career Services Online Resources by visiting their website; here students will find a broad range of topic relating to career choices and opportunities.