Professor, Applied Linguistics
Dr. McGarrell is Professor of Applied Linguistics. She has taught, presented papers and carried out research in Europe, Africa, North America and Asia.
Dr. McGarrell’s research interests include writing development in L2, applications of corpus linguistics, L2 language teacher knowledge, and TESL methodology.
Refereed Journal Articles:
- McGarrell, H.M. (2010). Native and non-native English speaking student teachers engage in peer feedback. Canadian Journal of Applied Linguistics 13, 1, pp. 71-90.
- Fitze, M. & McGarrell, H.M. (2008). Teacher Language in ESL Face-To-Face and Written Electronic Discussions, TESL-EJ 12, 2, pp. 1-24. Available at: http://tesl-ej.org/ej46/a2.html
- McGarrell, H.M. & J. Verbeem. (2007). Motivating draft revision through formative feedback. ELT Journal, Volume 61, No. 3, pp. 228-236.
- McGarrell, H.M. (2013). Classroom practices informed by corpus linguistics. In H.M. McGarrell & D. Wood (eds.). Contact – Refereed Proceedings of TESL Ontario Research Symposium, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp.
70-91. Available at: www.teslontario.net/uploads/publications/researchsymposium/ResearchSymposium2013.pdf
McGarrell, H.M. & Alvira, R. (2013). Innovation in Techniques for Teacher Commentary on ESL Writers’ Drafts. In M.J. Hamel & J. Séror (eds.) Innovative Practices in Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL), Vol. 5, pp. 37-55. Institut des langues officielles et du bilinguism (ILOB)/Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI). Ottawa: University of Ottawa.
- McGarrell, H.M., Burger, S. & Danforth, C. (2010). Teacher Response Strategies to L2 Writing: Matching Response Strategy and Desired Outcome. Páez Pérez, V., (Ed.) Proceedings of the VII International Conference on Foreign Languages Communication and Culture WEFLA 2010. Holguin, Cuba: The University of Holguin Oscar Lucero Moya. ISBN 978-959-16-1205-2.
- McGarrell, H.M. & Brillinger, K. (2008) Writing for Results: Academic and Professional Writing Tasks. (2nd revised and expanded edition). Montreal: Longman. 219 pages
- McGarrell, H.M. & Brillinger, K. (2008). Writing for Results: Academic and Professional Writing Tasks – Teachers’ Manual (2nd revised and expanded edition). Montreal: Longman.
- McGarrell, H.M. (Ed.) (2007). Language Teacher Research, Alexandra, VA:TESOL International.
- McGarrell, H.M. & Courchêne, R. (Eds.) (2010). Special Research Symposium Issue of CONTACT. Refereed Proceedings of TESL Ontario Research Symposium, December 2009. Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 98.
- McGarrell, H.M.& Courchêne, R. (Eds.) (2009). Special Research Symposium Issue of CONTACT. Refereed Proceedings of TESL Ontario Research Symposium, November 2008. Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 123.
- McGarrell, H.M.& Courchêne, R. (Eds.) (2008). Special Research Symposium Issue of CONTACT. Refereed Proceedings of TESL Ontario Research Symposium, November 2007. Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 80.
- McGarrell, H.M.& Courchêne, R. (Eds.) (2007). Special Research Symposium Issue of CONTACT. Refereed Proceedings of TESL Ontario Research Symposium, November 2006. Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 156.
Dr. McGarrell teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in Applied Linguistics/TESL. Most recently or currently taught courses include
- LING 2P99 – Literacy in Childhood and Youth
- LING 4P41 – Bilingualism
- LING4P83 – Teaching Reading and Writing in a Subsequent Language
- LING 5P02 – Pedagogical Grammar: Theory, Research and Practice
- LING 5P05 – Writing in Teaching English as a Second Language: Theory, Research and Practice
Dr. McGarrell has served in many different roles both inside and outside of the Brock community since joining Brock University in 1988. Dr. McGarrell currently serves as the Graduate Program Director as well as on several university committees. She has previously served as Graduate Program Director, as Chair of DALS, and as Director of the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
Beyond Brock, Dr. McGarrell is a member of the Editorial Board and a frequent reviewer for several international journals. In addition, she has reviewed book manuscripts for publishers including Blackwell, Cambridge Press, Longman, Oxford Press. She is currently a member of the TESOL Publications Committee.