Students eligible for domestic fees

All students not born in Canada must submit to the Office of the Registrar a proof of status document by the dates specified below.

Students who do not provide adequate supporting documentation by the due dates may not be eligible for tuition adjustments.

  • Fall term – documents must be dated and received by October 15.
  • Winter term – documents must be dated and received by January 15. Tuition will not be adjusted for courses which started in fall term.
  • Spring/Summer session – documents must be dated and received by June 15.

For students whose immigration status changes after admission to the university, please submit documentation of the change to the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible. Adjustments will be made within the context of the above dates.

A citizen of Canada within the meaning of the Citizenship Act, or a person registered as an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act.

Required documentation:

  • If not born in Canada – Citizenship Card, or Citizen Certificate From Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Canadian Passport.
  • Canadian born – Birth Certificate

A permanent resident within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act:

  1. A person who has acquired permanent resident status and has not subsequently lost that status

Required documentation:

  • Permanent Residence Card or Confirmation of Landing, or Record of Landing.
  • A letter which confirms that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has determined eligibility for immigration to Canada meets requirements.
  1. A person who is the dependent* of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident of Canada.
  2. A visitor, and his/her dependents*, who is authorized to work in Canada having been issued a work permit.


  • Graduate teaching assistant;
  • Work permit for co-op, internship or medical residency employment;
  • Work permit for post-graduate work;
  • Work permit issued as a result of the international student holding a valid Study Permit;
  • “Off-Campus Work Permit”;
  • “Open Work Permit”.

Official visitor and his or her dependent family members and staff with official accreditation from Global Affairs Canada, is exempt from international student tuition fees:

  • A diplomatic or consular officer or any dependents* of such personnel; or
  • A Canadian government-accredited representative or official of a country other than Canada, of the United Nations or any of its agencies, of any intergovernmental organizations of which Canada is a member or any dependents* of such personnel; or
  • A member of a foreign military force or of a civilian component; thereof admitted to Canada under the Visiting Forces Act or any dependents* of such personnel.

Required documentation:

  • Work Permit and Student Permit and proof of dependence (see definition of dependent below)
  • Other available official document/letter

A person who has been determined to be a protected person, including a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection, within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) or the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.  Only the protected person is exempt from International fees.

Required documentation:

  • Notice of Decision issued by Immigration and Refugee Board.

Dependents are defined as:

  • A spouse.
  • A common-law partner.
  • A dependent child or the dependent child of a spouse or common-law partner.
  • A dependent child of the dependent child referred to above.


  • As per IRPR 2(a), Dependent child, in respect of a parent, means a child who:

a) has one of the following relationships with the parent, namely,

(i) is the biological child of the parent, if the child has not been adopted by a person other than the spouse or common-law partner of the parent,  or

(ii) is the adopted child of the parent; and

(b) is in one of the following situations of dependency, namely,

(i) is less than 22 years of age and is not a spouse or common-law partner, or

(ii) is 22 years of age or older and has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before attaining the age of 22 years and is unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition

Required documentation:

  • Dependents: Marriage Certificate, or for common-law: a
    • As per IRPR 1, Common-law Partner means, in relation to a person, an individual who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal relationship, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year.

    To verify the common-law relationship, we may require student to provide signed common-law declaration form and also require documents to prove one year cohabitation.

  • Dependent Child: proof of financial dependency.