As amended at the Annual General Meeting, May 2022, May 2021, May 2019, and; at the June 2010 AGM with approval through a mailed membership vote in September 2010.
ARTICLE I: Name
- The name of this organization shall be the “Brock University Retirees’ Association” hereinafter referred to as “BURA.”
- Hereinafter, the University shall be taken to mean “Brock University.”
- Hereinafter, the “Executive” shall be taken to mean the “Executive of BURA.”
ARTICLE II: Purposes
The purposes of BURA shall be to:
- Provide a forum that encourages retirees of the University to continue friendships and enjoy good fellowship within the membership;
- Undertake events as appropriate for the enrichment of retirees;
- Monitor, develop proposals, and make recommendations as appropriate from time to time on any pension / benefits matters, to ensure that the best interests of BURA members are met; and
- To assist the University with the skills, expertise, and commitment possessed by retirees as they are willing and able to undertake events as appropriate for the enrichment of retirees and the University.
ARTICLE III: Membership Eligibility & Fees
Membership to BURA may be available under the following categories:
- Any former Brock University employee who directly retired from the University;
- Anyone formerly employed by Brock University for an extended period, who left the University prior to retirement and is now retired;
- Anyone upon retirement who worked within the Brock University community for an extended period;
- Any spouse/partner or surviving spouse/partner of a former Brock University employee who would have been eligible for membership according to the criteria outlined above;
- Any person deemed appropriate, in terms of their involvent with Brock University, approved by a membership committee.
- Honorary membership shall include the current Chancellor, President and Vice-Chancellor of the University, and Chair of the Board of Trustees.
B. Annual Membership Fee
An annual membership fee shall be levied as follows:
- On the recommendation of the Executive each year for approval by the membership at the Annual General Meeting;
- For the period July 1 to June 30 of the following year;
- At one-half the annual fee for those registering for the first time between January 1 and April 30, to expire on June 30 of the registration year;
- For those joining BURA for the first time between May 1 and July 1, no membership fee will be applicable until July 1; and,
- In those situations where two Brock retirees are married/partnered, only one membership fee shall be required.
ARTICLE IV: The Executive
- The affairs of BURA shall be administered by an Executive elected from the BURA membership each year at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). The Executive shall exercise all the powers of BURA required by this constitution and any bylaws approved by the membership.
- The Executive shall consist of the following members:
- Immediate Past President;
- Membership Facilitator;
- Newsletter Editor;
- IT Coordinator:
- Communications Coordinator;
- one or more Councillors as deemed necessary from time to time by the Executive.
- Any member of the Executive who misses three consecutive meetings may be deemed by the Executive to have forfeited his / her position on the Executive.
- The duties of the Executive shall be to:
- meet at least five times a year, including the AGM;
- plan activities in fulfillment of the purposes of BURA;
- deal with issues that arise that may be relevant to a majority of the BURA membership;
- appoint committees as appropriate, the BURA President being an ex-officio member of all committees so created;
- appoint a BURA member to any committee outside BURA to which a BURA representative is requested;
- fill, by majority vote of the Executive, vacancies on the Executive should any occur between annual general meetings;
- plan the AGM;
- serve as a nominating committee to prepare a slate of officers for membership consideration and approval at the AGM;
- ensure the preparation of a financial statement by the Treasurer for presentation at the AGM; and
- call and plan a special meeting of the BURA membership if any urgent matter arises, notice of any such meeting to be provided not less than two weeks prior to the established meeting date.
The quorum for the Executive shall be a simple majority of its membership.
ARTICLE V: The Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- An Annual General Meeting of BURA shall be held in May or June.
- Notice of the AGM, including any changes to the Constitution, must be given at least thirty days before the meeting date.
- The quorum for the AGM will be 20% of the entire membership.
- The agenda for the AGM will consist at least of the following:
- a report by the President;
- an annual financial statement presented by the Treasurer;
- a report by the Membership Facilitator; and
- the presentation for approval of a slate of officers for the forthcoming year.
Additional nominations for membership on the Executive can be made from the floor and voted upon at the AGM.
ARTICLE VI: Amendments to the Constitution
- Amendments to the Constitution will require the approval of two-thirds of the members present at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- Notice of proposed amendments must be distributed to the BURA membership at least thirty days before the AGM.
ARTICLE VII: Dissolution of BURA
Should BURA be dissolved for any reason, the assets and archives of BURA will be turned over to the University.