Welcome to the upper year (non-first year) students information page. Please read the information below to learn more about the upper year housing at Brock.
Upper year options
- Residence- living in a community of undergraduate students with all the residence community support. Meal plan mandatory.
September 2023 Residence guarantee: Brock is pleased to guarantee a space in residence to full-time undergraduate students in any year of study who apply and pay the Residence application fee by June 1, 2023. The guarantee does not apply to Brock Suites which continues to be first come, first served.
Secure your space in Residence today! Applications and payments received past June 1 will be guaranteed a space on a first come, first served basis. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
- Brock Suites- Upper year and Graduate student housing, 8-month contract with option to extend at reduced rate. Meal plan optional.
Upper year living offers you more options to tailor your on campus living experience:
- Residence buildings: Choosing to live in Residence allows you to rank 3-10 building and style preference in the order you wish along with selecting your meal plan, friendship groups and living learning communities.
- Brock Suites: Gateway Suites and Quarry View allow you to live more independently with close proximity to all University amenities and meal plan options.
Learn More About Living On-Campus
Frequently Asked Questions
Eligibility and Guarantees
To live in residence, you must be a full-time student in a degree program at Brock or studying in our IELP program.
The residence application is open to all current upper year students and we encourage all students to apply!
Brock Suites living is limited. Priority will be given to our current Brock Suites residents who are enrolled in an academic program and who meet the deadline to re-apply. Our admissions process is based on when an application is submitted, and the application fee payment is received. Our advice – apply early, get your application fee in on time and be at the top of the list. We start our assigning early in Spring.
Yes – international students are guaranteed a space in residence during every year of study.
Yes, there is opportunity to do this! If you choose Brock Suites you can make this part of your contract. All other on campus students will have the opportunity to reserve starting in February of each year for the coming Spring/Summer term. Visit the Spring/Summer page for more information about staying on campus during the Spring and Summer months.
YES! As soon as your application and your $600 application fee payment are received, you will be prioritized on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are interested in joining us in January visit this FAQ for more information.
Application Preferences and Assignment Process
Yes this is possible but this starts with you and your friend’s residence application. If you have a friend coming to Brock and you would like to share with that person, list each other’s names and rank your preferences in the same order. Please note, Brock Suites allows for mixed gender friendship units.
Residence: rank 3-10 building and style preference in the order you wish along with selecting your meal plan, friendship groups and living learning communities. Learn more about all the buildings and styles and decide what your preferences are.
Brock Suites: upper year residence in Gateway Suites and Quarry View Residence.
Yes, we encourage the Residence path for most students. In addition to the supports from our exceptional Residence Life staff you can apply for any residence building you wish. The meal plan is mandatory. If you would like a more independent upper year living experience that is when we recommend Brock Suites.
- Buildings: Quarry View and Gateway Residences are the only buildings associated with the Brock Suites living community.
- Units can have mixed genders if requested by friendship groups. Floors can be mixed gender.
- Options to extend your day: 4 months before or after your 8 month contract to provide a 12 month year round economical residence option.
- Residence Agreement – learn more
- Residence Life – There are minimal residence life supports with this choice. It is independent living, with close proximity to all University amenities and facilities.
- Meal plan – This is not required with this option but can be added! Learn more about your options.
- Payments/Fees – The $600 application fee is due immediately. The payments are billed monthly not by installments. The fees include all utilities (i.e. electrical, internet, gas, hydro) and parking. It is all-inclusive living.
- Medical Considerations – The medical considerations form is due immediately since assigning begins early. If you have accessibility requirements you will be assigned to Gateway Residence.
- Winter Break Stay – This is included in the Brock Suites fees.
- Traditional Residence stay – Visit the Fees and Payment page to view the residence and meal plan fees. These are paid by 3 installments.
- Brock Suites – Visit the Brock Suites pricing page. These fees are paid by monthly installment.
Residence – This fee is due no later than June 1.
Brock Suites – This fee is due before March 5.
Carefully choose your application preferences when you apply. Once submitted, residence application changes cannot be made online in your residence application portal. If you do need to make a change, these need to be requested before June 1 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All responses to your change requests will be sent to your Brock Outlook 365 student email. After June 1 changes cannot be made to your residence application.
Visit these pages if you are cancelling or withdrawing early before move-in or after move-in.
Visit the cancellation and early withdrawal page for more information if making a change before or after move-in day.
Your residence agreement outlines these in detail.
We are happy to work with you on this. The process starts with indicating this on your online residence application. You can visit our medical considerations page to learn how to submit the appropriate documentation.
Brock Suites requires this information to be sent in as soon as possible following your application. All other upper year students need to submit their documentation as soon as possible.
Yes, you can apply at any time, even during the school year. The January intake is subject to availability. After submitting an online application for January 2024 make an application fee payment of $600 onto your student account to be considered. Applications will be reviewed beginning in November and based on availability room assignments will go out in December 2023.
Only those with special circumstances can stay in Residence but you can learn more about these at this link.
Winter Break stay is included in Brock Suites.
Room Assigning and Waiting List Notification
For upper year students applying for Residence (not Brock Suites)
We begin the assigning process after the June 1st deadline and students will be notified of their status by July.
For upper year students applying for Brock Suites
We begin the assigning process in the Spring and students will be notified of their status no later than April.
Your name will be put on a waiting list if we are unable to offer you a space in residence. We will email you and tell you your place on the waiting list. You will be sent weekly updates on your waiting list number. You will only move up the list if and when a student cancels their residence room and we are able to assign the room to someone on the waiting list.
If you are still on the waiting list at the start of term and are not offered a room, the full application fee of $600 will remain as a credit on your account with the University and will be put toward other fees (e.g. tuition). You must inform us in writing should you wish to withdraw from the waiting list. Only written notice of withdrawal on the day it is received by the Department of Residences will be accepted in order to provide a refund. Your full application fee will be left as a credit on your student account as long as you notify us in writing of your wish to withdraw before we offer you a bed.
Please note, however, that if you leave your name on the waiting list and we offer you a bed in residence, the refund schedule applies. If your name remains on the waiting list and you are offered a bed that you turn down, you will forfeit the $600-application fee. Students whose status is to be reviewed for discipline reasons may be placed on the waiting list or prohibited from re-admission to residence. The full application fee will be refunded if a student is prohibited from returning to residence for discipline reasons.
Residence – Room assignments go out by the end of July.
Brock Suites – Room assignments go out by end of April.
Meeting your roommate (bathroom mate/unit mate) will be one of the things you do on move in day. (We are unable to share names and personal contact information for other students due to privacy legislation.)
In the past, it is highly unlikely that there will be any changes to room assignments before Thanksgiving. When a student wishes to change rooms this must be done in consultation and co-ordination with the residence don, head resident and the Department of Residences. This is explained in detail in our procedures for changing rooms.
Residence – Move-in Day is scheduled for September 2 or 3, 2023*.
* Assigned move in dates will depend on your room assignment. Move in dates and times will be made available by mid-August so you have time to prepare.
Learn how to prepare for move-in day. More information will be added in the coming weeks to include further details about move-in weekend.
Brock Suites – Move-in is scheduled based on your confirmed contract start date (i.e May 1 or September 1)