Welcome to the Department of Residences upper year students information page.
Your residence experience
As a current student, you have two residence experience options when deciding to live on-campus.
- Traditional residence experience, living in a community of undergraduate students with all the residence community supports and extend your residence life experience. Meal plan mandatory.
- Upper year housing, a year-round independent living experience at Brock Suites. Meal plan optional
Your residence building options
Upper year living offers you more options to tailor your residence experience:
- Choosing a traditional residence experience path allows you to rank 3-10 building and style preference in the order you wish along with selecting your meal plan, friendship groups and living learning communities.
- Brock Suites is an upper year residence at Gateway Suites and Quarry View that allows you to live more independently with close proximity to all University amenities and meal plan options. The option of an 8 or 12 month contract outside the undergraduate academic calendar is ideal for Graduate students. Learn more about Brock Suites.
Learn More About Living On-Campus
Frequently Asked Questions
Eligibility and Guarantees
To live in residence, you must be a full-time student in a degree program at Brock or studying in our IELP program.
For students entering upper year and apply to the traditional residence experience:
The residence application is open to all current upper year students and we encourage all students to apply!
Residence Guarantee: We are pleased to guarantee space in residence to full-time undergraduate students in any year of study who apply and pay the residence application fee by June 1, 2022. The residence guarantee applies only if both the residence application and the residence application fee are received by June 1, 2022. The guarantee does not apply to Brock Suites which continues to be first come, first served.
For students applying for Brock Suites
Brock Suites living is limited. Priority will be given to our current Brock Suites residents who are enrolled in an academic program and who meet the deadline to re-apply. Our admissions process is based on when an application is submitted, and their deposit is received. Our advice– apply early, get your application fee in on time and be at the top of the list. We start our assigning early in April.
Yes – international students are guaranteed a space in residence during every year of study.
Yes, there is opportunity to do this! If you choose Brock Suites you can make this part of your contract. All other on campus students will have the opportunity to reserve starting in February of each year for the coming Spring/Summer term. Visit the Spring/Summer page for more information about staying on campus during the Spring and Summer months.
YES! As soon as your application and your $600 application fee payment are received, you will be prioritized on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are interested in joining us in January visit this FAQ for more information.
Application Preferences and Assignment Process
You have the option of choosing a traditional residence experience path allows you to rank 3-11 building and style preference in the order you wish along with selecting your meal plan, friendship groups and living learning communities. Learn more about all the buildings and styles and decide what your preferences are.
Alternatively you can choose to Brock Suites. This is an upper year residence in Gateway Suites and Quarry View Residence.
Yes, we encourage the traditional residence path for most students. In addition to the supports from our exceptional Residence Life staff you can apply for any residence building you wish. The meal plan is mandatory. If you would like a more independent upper year living experience that is when we recommend Brock Suites.
- Residences – Quarry View and Gateway Residences are the buildings only associated with the Brock Suites living community.
- Units can have mixed genders if requested by friendship groups. Floors can be mixed gender.
- Options to extend your day: 4 months before or after your 8 month contract to provide a 12 month year round economical residence option.
- Residence Agreement – learn more
- Residence Life – There are no residence life supports with this choice. It is independent living, with close proximity to all University amenities and facilities.
- Meal plan – This is not required with this option but certainly be added! Learn more about your options.
- Payments/Fees – The application fee is due immediately. The payments are billed monthly not by installments. The fees include all utilities (ie electrical, internet, gas, hydro) and parking. It is all-inclusive living.
- Medical Considerations – The medical considerations form is due immediately since assigning begins early. If you have accessibility requirements you will be assigned to Gateway Residence.
- Winter Break Stay- This is included in the Brock Suites fees.
If you are weighing living off-campus or on-campus carefully weigh your lease with the Residence Agreement. In these changing times, some students may find the fairness of the residence agreement more aligned with their needs. For example, in March 2020 when COVID-19 impacted residence early departure students were not locked into a long-term lease. Some students were living at home but paying for off-campus housing.
Click here to view the current residence agreements.
Carefully choose your application preferences when you apply. Residence application changes cannot be made online in your residence application portal. If you do need to make a change, these need to be requested before June 1 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All responses to your change requests will be sent to your Brock 365 student email. After June 1 changes cannot be made to your residence application.
We are happy to work with you on this. The process starts with indicating this on your online residence application. You can visit our medical considerations page to learn how to submit the appropriate documentation.
Brock Suites requires this information to be sent in as soon as possible following your application. All other upper year students need to submit their documentation by April 30, 2022.
Yes this is possible but this starts with you and your friend’s residence application. Yes this is possible but this starts with you and your friend’s residence application. If you have a friend coming to Brock and you would like to share with that person, list each other’s names and rank your preferences in the same order. Please note, Brock Suites allows for mixed gender friendship units.
Yes, you can apply at any time, even during the school year. The January intake is subject to availability. After submitting an online application for January 2023 make an application fee payment of $300 onto your student account to be considered. Applications will be reviewed beginning in November and based on availability room assignments will go out in December 2022.
Room Assigning and Waiting List Notification
For upper year students applying for buildings other than Brock Suites
We begin the assigning process after the June 1st deadline and students will be notified of their status by mid-June.
For upper year students applying for Brock Suites
We begin the assigning process after the April 1st deadline and students will be notified of their status by mid-April.
Your name will be put on a waiting list if we are unable to offer you a space in residence. We will email you and tell you your place on the waiting list. You will be sent weekly updates on your waiting list number. You will only move up the list if and when a student cancels their residence room and we are able to assign the room to someone on the waiting list.
If you are still on the waiting list at the start of term and are not offered a room, the full application fee of $600 will remain as a credit on your account with the University and will be put toward other fees (e.g. tuition). You must inform us in writing should you wish to withdraw from the waiting list. Only written notice of withdrawal on the day it is received by the Department of Residences will be accepted in order to provide a refund. Your full application fee will be left as a credit on your student account as long as you notify us in writing of your wish to withdraw before we offer you a bed.
Please note, however, that if you leave your name on the waiting list and we offer you a bed in residence, the refund schedule applies. If your name remains on the waiting list and you are offered a bed that you turn down, you will forfeit the $600-application fee. Students whose status is to be reviewed for discipline reasons may be placed on the waiting list or prohibited from re-admission to residence. The full application fee will be refunded if a student is prohibited from returning to residence for discipline reasons.
Traditional Residence – Room assignments go out by the middle of July.
Brock Suites – Room assignments go out in end of April.
Meeting your roommate (bathroom mate/unit mate) will be one of the things you do on move in day. (We are unable to share names and personal contact information for other students due to privacy legislation.)
There may be updates to this procedure due to COVID-19.
In the past, it is highly unlikely that there will be any changes to room assignments before Thanksgiving. When a student wishes to change rooms this must be done in consultation and co-ordination with the residence don, head resident and the Department of Residences. This is explained in detail in our procedures for changing rooms.
Move-in Day is scheduled for September 3, 4 or 5, 2022*.
* Assigned move in dates will depend on your room assignment. Move in dates and times will be made available by mid-August so you have time to prepare.
Learn how to prepare for move-in day. More information will be added in the coming weeks to include further details about move-in weekend.