The Department of Residences actively seeks to fill vacancies that occur throughout the year. If a vacancy occurs in a double room the remaining student must:
- Keep the unoccupied portion of the room in such condition that it will be possible for a new roommate to move into the room at any time. A courtesy call will be made to inform the current resident that someone new will be moving into the room.
- Display a positive attitude of respect, co-operation and welcome towards any new roommate.
Please note that if any student fails to comply with these conditions, they may be subject to set-up/cleaning charges and/or disciplinary sanctions.
The Residence Admissions office will attempt to fill any vacancy in a timely fashion, following these steps:
- Offer the vacancy to a student whose name is on the waiting list
- Offer the vacancy to a student who has asked to change rooms.
Another option that is to consolidate vacancies from within the residence community.
Students will be notified in advance that consolidation will occur. There are a number of options available to students in this situation. They may:
- Move to another double room with just one occupant
- Find a student living alone in a double room who wishes to move in with them
- Retain the room as is, knowing that the Department of Residences is actively seeking to find them a new roommate. They will be required to keep the unoccupied portion of the room ready for a new roommate as outlined above. Spot checks will be made to ensure the room is move-in ready.
If space is available and no other students are requesting housing, the current room resident may retain the room privately for the remainder of the academic year at the consolidated single fee.
The consolidated single fee will be the same as the single rate within that particular residence but will be pro-rated until the end of the term.
The Department of Residences reserves the right to re-assign students to another double room if there is a demand for consolidated-singles but the student has chosen not to pay the consolidated-single rate.