Fall 2020 Re-opening Information
We are excited to be re-opening the Walker Sports Complex for Brock students on Tuesday, Sept. 8. Staff across the University have been working hard to ensure a safe and gradual return for students. We have followed Provincial and Public Health guidance, as well as Brock University’s stages of re-opening.
Pre-registration for all activity spaces will allow us to ensure that we meet guidelines for number of participants in each space for the safety of all.
Initially, the following facilities will be available for student use: an alternate Zone Fitness Centre on Court 1 of the Ian D. Beddis gymnasium, the pool for lane swims only, badminton courts (singles), basketball hoops for shooting only (no games), outdoor tennis courts, Alumni Field.
Not available are the following: The indoor track, squash courts, spin room, whirlpool, locker rooms, saunas and diving boards are not available as we open. We will continually evaluate and abide by Public Health and Brock University direction regarding any further facility openings.
Use of the Walker Sports Complex facilities (currently only open to current Brock University students) is by pre-reservation ONLY
Brock University students who would like to access the facilities must follow the below process:
- Log on to https://ca.apm.activecommunities.com/brocku/
- Sign in under “CampusID” using your Brock student email and password. For example, email@example.com.
- You can search for the activity you would like to book a time for by typing it in the search bar (e.g., Basketball), or just select the drop down menu entitled “Activities” at the top of the page. See all direct registration links to activities available.
- Once you have the activity on your screen that you would like to register for, choose “Add to Cart”.
- Choose “Enroll Now”.
- Select your name as the participant.
- You will see a list of times available (scroll to the bottom of the page).
- Once there, you will see all of the time slots available for the activity. Click the checkbox for the day/time you would like to reserve. NOTE: You can only book one time slot per activity, per day.
- When finished your selection, choose “Add to Cart”.
- Answer all required questions and choose “Continue”.
- The payment due should be $0.00. (NOTE: If you book more than one time slot in one day, you will see a charge of $250 as you check out. You will need to start your reservation process again.)
- Please read the Waiver, and initial.
- Choose “Finish”. You will receive a confirmation of your booking.
- On the day of your booking, you will be screened into the Walker Sports Complex via the West Campus screening point at the Art & Val Fleming Entrance. View map.
- Once you have been screened at the West Campus screening point, follow signage to the Recreation check-in located at the bottom of the ramp ramp leading to the Ian D. Beddis gymnasium no earlier than 10 minutes before your booking.
All are asked to abide by the booked times. Staff will remind you of when you must leave, we ask that you do so promptly, to allow cleaning before the next group of participants is allowed in.
Frequently Asked Questions
You should come dressed for your activity (bring clean shoes for indoor activity) with as little extra equipment as possible. If you are coming to play badminton, tennis, basketball, please bring the equipment needed if you can. We will have some equipment to loan/rent if necessary.
In all activity spaces, you will be required to leave any equipment that you bring in a designated space. This space will be sanitized after you leave.
This includes exemptions for those who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons, and other accommodations under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Students are not required to show proof of exemption from the wearing a mask or face covering but are asked to maintain a minimum of six feet of distance from other participants. It is permitted to temporarily remove your mask or face covering when engaging in athletic or fitness activity. The mask must be worn when moving between equipment stations or leaving the activity area.
Yes, you will see signage throughout the Walker Sports Complex regarding direction of traffic flow, remaining six feet apart, wearing face coverings and cleaning information. We all need to work together to ensure the safety of all who participate in activity and work in the Walker Sports Complex. Participants are asked to be diligent in cleaning equipment after using, staff will be sanitizing between use. Extra sanitization will occur mid-day and during evening closures.
Any student wishing to come to the Walker Sports Complex must go through the University West Campus screening point at the Art & Val Fleming entrance at the Walker Sports Complex. Bring your student ID card, and answer the screening questions on the Brock Safety app prior to arriving.
Once you have been screened, follow signage to the Recreation check-in located at the bottom of the ramp ramp leading to the Ian D. Beddis gymnasium no earlier than 10 minutes before your booking. Your reservation will be verified with your student ID, and you will be directed to your activity space.
If you exit the Walker Sports Complex and need to return, you will need to enter West Campus screening point again.
The locker room will only be available for those who are swimming. Lockers will not be available. Please have your swim suit under your clothing, bring a towel, and clothing to change into after you swim. Showering prior to swimming is mandatory, specific shower areas are available.
Brock has a comprehensive approach to assist public health in their contact tracing in the event of an identified positive case of COVID-19 on our campus. Safeguarding the health and safety of Brock University students, faculty and staff is a top priority.
Brock’s contact tracing role is about ensuring that we have ready access to the contact information we collect, in the event it is required for release to Public Health in relation to the communicable disease investigation.
In order to assist a public health unit in the event of an individual who has an identified positive case of the virus, has been on Brock’s campus and in close proximity of other students, staff, or faculty, Brock will work with the public health unit to provide them with contact information regarding those who may have been exposed. This will only be provided to a public health unit in the form of the individual’s name, phone number and email. This could mean providing a list of students in a class, those working in a research lab, students in residence or staff/faculty engaged in recreational activities that may have been exposed to the virus. The information will be given to the contact tracer at a public health unit through a secure method. This information may be maintained by Brock for one year. A public health unit will then contact the individual as per Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act, which provides a public health unit with the authority to investigate infectious diseases.
If you have any further questions, please contact the Campus Security Services at Brock University at 905-688-5550 x3130.