history of niagara’s economic development in a changing world
The Niagara Community Observatory and Brock University are excited to partner with the Wilson Foundation to tell the story of Niagara’s economic development from pre-1900 to the present day.
Our interdisciplinary team will focus on five key economic sectors: hydro-electric power generation; manufacturing and industry; marine transportation; tourism; and agriculture and agri-business, plus the emerging sector of information & communications technology. The information and knowledge gathered will be presented through digital media, archives and special collections’ exhibitions, symposiums for researchers and the academic community.
The project will also provide experiential learning and research opportunities for Brock’s student body.
NCO Director, Dr. Charles Conteh, leads the two-year project along with a research team gathered from the university’s Faculties of Social Sciences, Humanities, Education, and Goodman School of Business, as well as Library Archives and Special Collections.
- Mishka Balsom, CEO, Greater Niagara Chamber of Commerce
- Farzana Crocco, Director, BrockLINC
- Diana Huson, Chair, Regional Council Economic Development Committee
- David Hutchison, Faculty of Education, Brock University
- Ian Potter, President & CEO, Vineland Research and Innovation Centre
- David Sharron, Head of Archives and Special Collections, Brock University
- George Spezza, Director, Economic Development, Niagara Region
brock faculty research supervision team
Niagara’s regional economy is evolving, and the jobs and opportunities available in Niagara are changing, too. The question of how to attract, develop, and retain the talent associated with these trends is top of mind.
To that end, the Niagara Community Observatory is investigating the strengths and weaknesses of talent development and retention in Niagara. A survey of recent graduates from Brock’s Faculty of Mathematics and Science is being conducted to discover whether STEM students (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) are staying in Niagara following graduation, and what factors are influencing their decisions.
The survey is being distributed through Brock University’s Alumni Office in October 2023, with a public report scheduled for early 2024.
Read our coverage in The Brock News: Math and Science grads to receive retention survey
For more information, contact Nathan Olmstead at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here’s a taste of what our research team has been busy compiling to date, with more to come:
BY THE NUMBERS
- Historical Trends in Niagara’s Agribusiness Sector, 2001-2022 by Charles Conteh
- Historical Trends in Niagara’s Electric Power Generation Sector, 2001-2022 by Charles Conteh
- Historical Trends in Niagara’s ICT Sector, 2001-2022 by Charles Conteh
- Historical Trends in Niagara’s Tourism Sector, 2001-2022 by Charles Conteh
- Population Changes in Niagara, 1971-2021: Total population patterns
by Jeff Boggs and Philip Dwomoh
- Population Changes in Niagara, 1971-2021: Population patterns interpreted
by Jeff Boggs and Philip Dwomoh
Stay tuned here for more updates. Our historical research team, for example, has just completed its archival research pre-1900 to 1969 and we will be moving into design and production phases. A presentation announcement is soon to come!
As part of our ongoing historical research into Niagara’s economic past, we are developing vignettes to share the stories of the people, places, and actions that shaped our region. An example of our work is below.
The Burning Springs and the Commercialization of Niagara Falls
Time period: 1780s – 1880s
Niagara’s unique physiography has always been the driving force behind its tourism sector and The Burning Springs near Dufferin Islands is one of the earliest examples.
More than 200 years ago, a sulphur-smelling spring with natural gas bubbling to the surface was discovered on the Canadian side of the Niagara River, above the Horseshoe Falls. It originated from a layer of Queenston Shale along the upper Niagara River, more than 600 feet deep and exposed during excavation for the Bridgewater Mills in the 1790s. It quickly became a curiosity mentioned in a number of traveler accounts throughout the 1800s and is said to have been one of the earliest tourist attractions in Niagara Falls.
The mill proprietors Thomas Clark and Samuel Street decided to turn it into a tourist attraction, building a wooden shelter over the sulphur springs as well as a contraption of a barrel with a corked pipe that would collect the gas. Once the audience had gathered round, the cork was removed from the pipe and the natural gas was emitted and ignited, creating the “burning springs”.
The Burning Springs were advertised in various tourist guidebooks published throughout the 1830s and 1840s. Tourists were charged 12 ½ cents by its new keeper M. J. Conklin for a chance to view this natural curiosity. Conklin’s son, and then grandson, inherited the attraction and eventually a new owner in the early 1880s repaired the building, adding gatekeepers, and raising admission fees which included access to the surrounding gardens and picnic areas. More than 25,000 tickets were sold in the summer of 1884 alone.
The attraction was forced to move when the Niagara Parks Commission took ownership of the land in 1887. For some unknown reason, the gas flow had dried up in 1885, but it was discovered during an arbitration hearing that the owner had continued collecting fees from tourists wanting to see the burning springs. Despite this, the Commission still paid the owner $4,200 for the property with an additional $2,000 per year for the rest of his life, determining that to be “fair compensation”.
Entrepreneurs recreated “The Burning Springs” attraction a few times in its history and eventually it ended up in a wax museum during the 1960s, located where the Marriott Hotel bus stop/Fallsview Boulevard hotel district is today. The museum closed in the 1980s.
You can find out more about The Burning Springs from the following sources:
Niagara Falls: A Tourist Destination for 200 Years, Brock University Archives & Special Collections
Curious Canada Postcard History https://postcardhistory.net/2021/03/curious-canada/
Steele’s Book of Niagara Falls, Brock University Archives & Special Collections: https://dr.library.brocku.ca/bitstream/handle/10464/2553/steelesbookofnia00parsuoft.pdf?sequence=1