Makerspace Assistant and fourth-year Studies in Arts and Culture student Christy Mitchell removes a model from a 3D printer. The Brock community is invited to participate in an Intro to 3d Printing workshop on Tuesday, Nov. 21 at 1 p.m. in the Makerspace.
published in the Brock News on Friday 03, November 2023
The Brock University Library Makerspace is providing students, staff and faculty with opportunities to develop new skills in 3D printing, modelling and animation as well as podcasting through a series of upcoming introductory workshops.
The free in-person sessions, held in RFP 203, are intended to help participants build their confidence working with 3d Studio Max, a professional 3D modelling, animation and rendering application, and Blender, an open-source 3D creation suite.
“All of the workshops teach participants from scratch,” says Makerspace Technician and Facilitator Zak Mason. “No previous experience is required; however, for optimal learning, we recommended participants commit to doing both in the same week when sessions are offered in two parts.”
Also offered this semester are drop-in times for miniature painting and musical jam sessions.
“Come hang out with like-minded people and make some new friends,” says Mason. “We supply everything you need except the appetite to learn new skills.”
Upcoming workshops include:
Introduction to Podcasting
- Monday, Nov. 6 at 11 a.m.
- Monday, Nov. 20 at 11 a.m.
- Monday, Dec. 4 at 11 a.m.
3D Modelling in Blender – A two-part series
- Part 1: Tuesday, Nov. 14 at 1 p.m.
- Part 2: Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 1 p.m.
- Part 1: Tuesday, Nov. 28 at 1 p.m.
- Part 2: Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 1 p.m.
Introduction to 3d Studio Max
- Part 1: Tuesday, Nov. 7 at 1 p.m.
- Part 2: Wednesday, Nov. 8 at 1 p.m.
- Part 1: Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 1 p.m.
- Part 2: Wednesday, Dec. 6 at 1 p.m.
Introduction to 3D printing
- Tuesday, Nov. 21 at 1 p.m.
Miniature Model Painting
- Friday, Nov. 17 at 1 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 1 at 1 p.m.
- Thursdays Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30 and Dec. 7 starting at 1:30 p.m.
To learn more or to register for a workshop visit ExperienceBU.
Drop-in hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Additional learning resources, such as self-directed tutorials and an online tour of the Makerspace, are available on the Brock University Library Makerspace website.
Questions about workshops and the Makerspace can be emailed to email@example.com