General FAQ

The Music Office is located in Room MW228, Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts building in downtown St. Catharines.

Address: 15 Artists’ Common, St. Catharines

Parking: The closest parking is a city-owned “pay & display” lot immediately to the west of our building. Please see this map for City of St. Catharines parking facilities. Public parking in the lot in front of the school is limited. Contact the Department for more details.

Read here for more information about university residence, meal plans, transit, and parking options when you are a student at the MIWSFPA.

Auditions FAQ

Our program is a classical program, and our assessments are based on this repertoire only. Please see the Audition Repertoire section for more details.

Yes, you may use this repertoire. “Classical” in this context means anything except popular styles, or musical theatre, not specifically the Classical Era of music history.

No. If you are performing a piece that requires accompaniment, we will only accept a live pianist as an accompanist. Please see the information in the section on Piano Accompaniment for more information.

The audition panel does appreciate having one copy of the music to share, though it is not mandatory.

Yes, we do. Without a complete file, including two letters of recommendation from someone familiar with your work, we cannot properly assess your application.

The main difference has to do with the lessons. Bachelor of Music students are required to take lessons for a minimum of the first 3 years of their degree, and are expected to do a certain amount of performing. Bachelor of Arts students may elect to take lessons if they wish, but are not required to do so. B.A. students taking lessons are not expected to perform outside of the requirements for their weekly lessons and year-end jury.

Music Ed Plus FAQ

Applications for the Music Ed Plus program are due April 30 for returning students, and June 1 for new students.  To apply, you must complete the online fillable WORD application form.

Yes. You do not need to receive your letter of acceptance from the Department of Music at Brock before you apply to the Music Ed Plus program. We encourage applicants to complete the application process as early as possible. Acceptance into the Music Ed Plus program will be dependent on your acceptance as a music major at Brock.

Students accepted into the program are charged a fee of $475/year (billed in late August to the student’s account).

Music Ed Plus students do an average of 6 hours of programming per week (less during heavy academic workload times).  This includes approximately 2 hours of volunteer work (for years 2-4); 2 hours of Wednesday Forums (4:30-6:30 p.m.) consisting of lectures and workshops; and, 2 hours of chamber music rehearsal time.  During each semester there may also be a few concerts.

From September 1 to August 31 you will be required to complete at least 50 hours of volunteer work.

You are required to participate in the full curriculum:

  • volunteer placement (if applicable),
  • Wednesday Forums from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
  • chamber music ensemble rehearsals and performances, and,
  • other events as listed on the Music Ed Plus weekly schedule

There will not be any grades assigned to any part of Music Ed Plus; however, only completed requirements will be documented on your Music Ed Plus transcript.  Supervisors of your volunteer placement will complete a “Student Placement Evaluation” and the Experience Plus “Employability Skills Checklist” when you are finished your placement.

Please see the four-year plan. The lecture series and workshops will change from year to year, bringing in different speakers and topics.

Volunteer activities for entering students will be at the discretion of the Music Ed Plus committee.

Yes, depending on the type of volunteer placement, you might be able to complete these hours during the summer months and in your hometown.

Minimum per year is 50 hours, but you can do more. If you are planning on applying to a Faculty of Education you should check with that Faculty of Ed for their specific requirements. Each university has different requirements concerning volunteer hours.

If you plan on working with children in your volunteer placement, the volunteer organization (School Board, Musical Organization, etc.) will require you to do a Police Vulnerable Sector Check.  As soon as you are assigned to a volunteer placement by the Music Ed Plus committee it is advisable that you consult the placement supervisor to find out exactly what they require in terms of a Police Check.  If you do this Check over the summer you will be able to start your placement immediately in September without delay.  Police Checks can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to be processed.