As members of the Brock community, we can make a real difference by discussing, addressing and learning more about suicide.
Individuals are at a higher risk of suicide if they
- Have a serious untreated mental illness.
- Abuse alcohol or drugs.
- Have experienced a major loss or life change.
- Have a major relationship issue.
- Have made a previous suicide attempt.
Signs and symptoms of suicide
- Repeated expressions of hopelessness, helplessness or desperation.
- Behaviour that is out of character – withdrawn, dramatic mood changes.
- Increased anger and irritability.
- Preparations for death, such as discussing making a will or giving away prized possessions.
- Making remarks related to death, dying or suicide.
- Sudden changes in school attendance or school grades.