Professor and Chair, Department of Engineering
- Member of NSERC-DG Evaluation Group (2021-2024)
- Director of Nature-Inspired Computational Intelligence (NICI) Lab
- Adjunct Professor at University of Waterloo and Ontario Tech University
- Co-director of The Laboratory for Knowledge Inference in Medical Image Analysis (Kimia Lab)
Dr. Rahnamayan received his BSc and MSc degrees both in software engineering and he is holding his PhD degree in systems design engineering awarded by University of Waterloo in 2007. He has published more than 200 papers in areas of machine learning, optimization, and medical image processing. His publications received more than 8,300 citations during his 18 years of research experience at University of Waterloo, Michigan State University (MSU, USA), Simon Fraser University (SFU), and Ontario Tech University; he has been awarded more than 45 honors and recognitions. Currently, as a full professor, he is the engineering department chair and director of the Nature Inspired Computational Intelligence (NICI) Lab at Brock University in Canada. He has received research and teaching excellence awards and was ranked in top 2% of world-wide AI researchers in 2020 and 2021.
- PDF, Mechatronic Systems Engineering (Simon Fraser University)
- PhD, Systems Design Engineering (University of Waterloo)
- MSc, Software Engineering
- BSc, Software Engineering
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Evolutionary Computation
- Big Data Analytic and Visualization
- Opposition-Based Computation
- Medical Image Processing
- Large-scale and Multi-objective Optimization
Summary — Refereed Journal Publications: 65, Refereed Conference Publications: 145, Books: 2, Book Chapters: 7, Citations: 8330, h-index: 37, i10-index: 92
A. Bidgoli, S. Rahnamayan, T. Dehkharghanian, A. Riasatian and H. R. Tizhoosh, “Evolutionary Computation in Action: Hyperdimensional Deep Embedding Spaces of Gigapixel Pathology Images,” in IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, doi: 10.1109/TEVC.2022.3178299.
Seydgar, S. Rahnamayan, P. Ghamisi, A.A. Bidgoli, “Deep Probabilistic Framework for Semi-Supervised Hyperspectral Image Classification,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, March 2022 [in press].
Hanan Hiba, Shahryar Rahnamayan, Azam Asilian Bidgoli, Amin Ibrahim, Rasa khosroshahli, A comprehensive investigation on novel center-based sampling for large-scale global optimization, Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 73, 2022.
Amr Salem, Hussien Hegab, Shahryar Rahnamayan, Hossam A. Kishawy, Multi-objective optimization and innovization-based knowledge discovery of sustainable machining process, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 2022, ISSN 0278-6125, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2022.04.013.
Asilian Bidgoli, A., Rahnamayan, S., Erdem, B. et al. Machine learning-based framework to cover optimal Pareto-front in many-objective optimization. Complex Intell. Syst. (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40747-022-00759-w
Taher Dehkharghanian, Shahryar Rahnamayan, Abtin Riasatian, Azam A. Bidgoli, Shivam Kalra, Manit Zaveri, Morteza Babaie, Mahjabin S. Seyed Sajadi, Ricardo Gonzalelz, Phedias Diamandis, Liron Pantanowitz, Tao Huang, Hamid R. Tizhoosh, Selection, Visualization, and Interpretation of Deep Features in Lung Adenocarcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma, The American Journal of Pathology, Volume 191, Issue 12, 2021, Pages 2172-2183, ISSN 0002-9440, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2021.08.013.
Azam Asilian Bidgoli, Hossein Ebrahimpour-Komleh, Shahryar Rahnamayan, Reference-point-based multi-objective optimization algorithm with opposition-based voting scheme for multi-label feature selection, Information Sciences, Volume 547, 2021, Pages 1-17, ISSN 0020-0255, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2020.08.004.
Hegab, A. Salem, S. Rahnamayan, H.A. Kishawy, Analysis, modeling, and multi-objective optimization of machining Inconel 718 with nano-additives based minimum quantity coolant, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 108, 2021, 107416, ISSN 1568-4946, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2021.107416.
Nasrolahzadeh, J. Haddadnia, S. Rahnamayan, “Multi-objective Optimization of Wavelet packet- based Features in Pathological Diagnosis of Alzheimer Using Spontaneous Speech Signals,” IEEE Access, in IEEE Access, Vol. 8, pp. 112393-112406, 2020.
Rahnamayan, S.; Mahdavi, S.; Deb, K.; Asilian Bidgoli, A. Ranking Multi-Metric Scientific Achievements Using a Concept of Pareto Optimality. Mathematics 2020, 8, 956. https://doi.org/10.3390/math8060956
Rahnamayan, S. Mahdavi, A. Mahdavi, “Majority Voting for Discrete Population-based Optimization Algorithms,” Soft Computing, Sept. 2018, pp 1-18.
Gandomi, K. Deb, R.C. Averill, S. Rahnamayan, N. Omidvar, “Using Semi-independent Variables to Enhance Optimization Search,” Expert Systems With Applications, Sept. 2018, pp. 279-297.
Rahnamayan, H. R. Tizhoosh and M. M. A. Salama, “Opposition-Based Differential Evolution,” in IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 64-79, Feb. 2008, doi: 10.1109/TEVC.2007.894200.
PDF: 11, PhD: 19, MSc: 28, Research Associates: 5
A. Undergraduate Level Courses
Machine Learning and Data Mining
Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
C++ Programming for Engineers
Software Design II
Computer and Software Security
Software Engineering Systems Design I and II
B. Graduate Level Courses
C. Graduate Level Courses (directed studies)
Digital Image Processing
Applications of Optimization in Machine Learning and Data Analytic
- University of Waterloo (Waterloo, Canada)
- Michigan State University (East Lansing, USA)
- BEACON Center (East Lansing, USA)
- Robarts Research Institute (London, Canada)
- Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, Canada)
- Toronto Metropolitan University (Toronto, Canada)
- Ontario Tech University (Oshawa, Canada)
- Ranked in top 2% of World-wide AI Researchers (2020 and 2021)
- Member of NSERC-DG Evaluation Group (2021-2024)
- Received FEAS (UOIT) Excellence in Teaching Award (2018)
- Received University Research Excellence Award (2017)
- Received certificate in Tackling the Challenges of Big Data, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Nominated to PhD Alumni Gold Medal, University of Waterloo, Canada
- CIHR Strategic Training Fellow, Robarts Research Institute, Canada
- First Class Honour in M.Sc. Degree, Software Engineering
- First Class Honour in B.Sc. Degree, Software Engineering
- Received IEEE Toronto Technology Award, Smartnora Inc., 2019.
- Grant Reviewer: NSERC-DG, BEACON Grant, NSERC-I2I, MITACS Accelerate Research, NSERC Strategic Grant
- Paper Reviewer: 35 international journals and 25 international conferences
- Member of Technical Program Committee: 30 international conferences
- Received more than 45 Honors, Awards, and Grants, including: ORF, NSERC-DG, NSERC-UNENE, OCE-VIP, MRI-OCIF, NSERCJSPS, NSERC-IPS, NSERC-IRDF, NSERC-VF, OGS, CIHR, OGSST, FedDev, UOIT-AIA, UoW-GIS, OCE-IDF.