Associate Professor, Chemistry
Silicon chemistry; silicone/protein interactions; biomaterials; silicon-mediated reactions; bioorganosilicon chemistry; immobilized catalysts; chemical education.
Silicon is the second most abundant element in the Earth’s crust, second only to oxygen. As a result, the field of silicon chemistry rivals that of organic chemistry in its complexity and breadth. Of particular interest to our group is the interface of silicon chemistry and biological chemistry. We are exploring the use of enzymes as a green method for synthesizing polymeric silicon species; linear polymers, elastomers, and silica. Associated with these particular efforts are our interests in developing novel silicon-based delivery systems for both the topical and oral delivery of biologically active agents and silicon-based coatings for various surfaces.
We are also combining our expertise in silicon chemistry with experts in the catalysis of organic reactions to develop novel catalytic systems for a variety of reactions such as enantioselective aldol reactions, hydrosilylations, Diels-Alder reactions, and Mannich reactions to name but a few.
In addition to our interests in silicon chemistry, we are also interested in chemical education. Specifically, we are examining the use of electronic media as a means of determining how well students are able to learn lecture material, and how these electronic resources aid the students in planning their study time.
Journal Articles, Book Chapters, and Books
41. Frampton, MB; Marquardt, D; Letofsky-Papst, I; Pabst, G; Zelisko, PM. Analysis of Trisiloxane Phosphocholine Bilayers. Langmuir, 2017, 33, 4948-4953.
40. Nasresfahani, A; Zelisko, PM. Synthesis of a Self-Healing Siloxane-Based Elastomer Cross-Linked via a Furan-Modified Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane: Investigation of a Thermally Reversible Silicon-Based Cross-Link. Polymer Chemistry, 2017, 8, 2942-2952.
39. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM. Biocatalysis in Silicon Chemistry. Chemistry – An Asian Journal, 2017, 12, 1153-1167. Invited Publication.
38. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM. A Short Synthesis of Siloxane Phosphocholines. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 2016, 119. DOI: 10.1002/ejlt.201600248.
37. Behie, SW; Moreira, CC; Sementchoukova, I; Barelli, L; Zelisko, PM; Bidochka, MJ. Trading Insect Nitrogen for Photosynthate: Carbon Translocation from a Plant to an Insect Pathogenic, Endophytic Fungus. Nature Communications, 2017, 8, 14245 DOI: 10.1038/ncomms14245
36. Naoum, R; Séguin, JP; Trant, JF; Frampton, MB; Hudlický, T; Zelisko, PM. A Chemoenzymatic Route to Chiral Siloxanes. Tetrahedron, 2016, 72, 4027-4031.
35. Frampton, MB; Marquardt, D; Jones, TRB; Harroun, TA; Zelisko, PM. Macrocyclic Oligoesters Incorporating a Cyclotetrasiloxane Ring. Biomacromolecules, 2015, 16, 2091-2100.
34. Frampton, MB; Jones, TRB; Zelisko, PM. Cyclotetrasiloxane Frameworks for the Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of Oligoesters. RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 1999-2008.
33. Frampton, MB; Séguin, JP; Zelisko, PM. Enzymatic Modification and Polymerization of Siloxane-Containing Materials, In Bio-Inspired Silicon-Based Materials, Zelisko, PM. (Ed.), Advances in Silicon Science Vol. 5, 2014, p. 73-89, Heidelberg: Springer.
32. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM. Protease-Mediated Hydrolysis and Condensation of Tetra- and Trialkoxysilanes, In Bio-Inspired Silicon-Based Materials, Zelisko, PM. (Ed.), Advances in Silicon Science Vol. 5, 2014, p. 27-37, Heidelberg: Springer.
31. Zelisko, PM. Silicon in a Biological Environment, In Bio-Inspired Silicon-Based Materials, Zelisko, PM. (Ed.), Advances in Silicon Science Vol. 5, 2014, p. 1-18, Heidelberg: Springer.
30. Zelisko, PM. Bio-Inspired Silicon-Based Materials. Advances in Silicon Science Vol. 5, 2014, Heidelberg: Springer. Invited Publication.
29. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM. Chain Length Selectivity During the Polycondensation of Siloxane-Containing Esters and Alcohols by Immobilized Candida antarctica Lipase B. Enzyme Microb. Technol., 2014, 58-59, 87-92.
28. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM. Synthesis of Lipase-Catalysed Silicone-Polyesters and Silicone-Polyamides at Elevated
Temperatures. Chem. Commun., 2013, 49, 9269-9271.
27. Frampton, MB; Séguin, JP; Marquardt, D; Harroun, TA; Zelisko, PM. Synthesis of Polyesters Containing Disiloxane
Subunits: Structural Characterization, Kinetics, and an Examination of the Thermal Tolerance of Novozym-435. J.
Mol. Cat. B.: Enzymatic. 2013, 85-86, 149-155.
26. Behie, SW; Zelisko, PM; Bidochka, MJ. Endophytic Insect-Parasitic Fungi Translocate Nitrogen Directly from Insects to
Plants, Science, 2012, 336, 1576-1577.
25. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM. A Comparison of Protease Active Sites and their Ability to Process Silicon-Based
Substrates. Silicon, 2012, 4(1), 51-56.
24. Zelisko, PM. The Frederic Stanley Kipping Award in Silicon Chemistry. Silicon, 2010, 2, 185.
23. Zelisko, PM; Dudding, T; Arnelien, KR; Stanisic, H. Trypsin-Catalyzed Cross-Linking of Triethoxysilyl-Terminated Polydimethylsiloxane: An Experimental and Computational Approach, in Advance of Silicones and Silicone-Modified Materials. Clarson, SJ; Owen, MJ; Smith, SD; Van Dyke, ME. 2010, Chapter 5, 47-57, American Chemical Society.
22. Frampton, MB; Simionescu, R; Dudding, T; Zelisko, PM. The Enzymatic Cleavage of Si-O Bonds: A Kinetics Analysis of the Biocatalyzed Hydrolysis of Phenyltrimethoxysilane. J. Mol. Cat. B: Enzymatic, 2010. 66, 105-112.
21. Frampton, MB; Subczynska, I; Zelisko, PM. Biocatalytic Synthesis of Silicone Polyesters. Biomacromolecules, 2010. 11 (7), 1818-1825.
20. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM. Organosilicon Biotechnology. Silicon, 2009, 1, 147-163.
19. Frampton, M; Simionescu, R; Zelisko, PM. Enzyme-Mediated Synthesis of Silsesquioxanes. Silicon, 2009, 1, 47-56.
18. Frampton, M; Vawda, A; Fletcher, J; Zelisko, PM. Enzyme-Mediated Sol–Gel Processing of Alkoxysilanes. Chem. Commun., 2008, 5544-5546.
17. Zelisko, PM; Flora, KK; Brennan, JD; Brook, MA. Water-in-Silicone Oil Emulsion Stabilizing Surfactants Formed From Native Albumin and a,ω-Triethoxysilylpropyl-Polydimethylsiloxane. Biomacromolecules. 2008, 9, 2153-2161.
16. Amarne, HY; Bain, AD; Neumann, K; Zelisko, PM. Extensions of a Basic Laboratory Experiment: 4+2 and 2+2 Cycloadditions. Journal of Chemical Education, 2008, 85(1), 104-106.
15. Zelisko, PM; Arnelien, KR; Dudding, T; Simionescu, R; Stanisic, H. Enzyme Mediated Cross-Linking of Silicone Polymers. Polymer Preprints, 2007, 48(2), 984-985.
14. Zelisko, PM; Lopez Aguilar, A.; Brook, MA. Delivery of Both Active Enzyme and Bleach from Water-in-Silicone Oil (D4) Emulsions. Langmuir, 2007. 23(7), 3620-3625.
13. Zelisko, PM; Ragheb, AM; Hrynyk, M; Brook, MA. Proteins at Silicone Interfaces, in The Science and Technology of Silicones and Silicone-Modified Materials. Clarson, SJ; Fitzgerald, JJ; Owen, MJ; Smith, SD; Van Dyke, ME., Eds. 2007, 964, 256-266.
12. Liu, M; Pacard, E; Ragheb, AM; Zelisko, PM; Brook, MA. Stabilisation of Protein-Containing Water-in-Oil Emulsions, Cahiers de Formulation, 2004, 11, 1542-162 (Developed from the conference, “Formulation des composés silicones et fluorés” presented at the Journées de formulation: Formulation des composés silicones et fluorés: Concurrence ou complémentarité Lyon, France 9, 10 décembre 2002), Lanteri, P.; Bordes, C., Eds., invited manuscript.
11. Zelisko, PM; Coo-Ranger, JJ; Brook, MA. The Interaction of Proteins with Functionalized Silicones. Polymer Preprints, 2004, 45(1), 604-605.
10. Coo-Ranger, JJ; Zelisko, PM; Brook, MA. Ionic Silicone Surfactants in Water-in-Silicone Oil Emulsions Containing Proteins. Polymer Preprints, 2004, 45(1), 674-675.
9. Liu, M; Ragheb, A; Zelisko, P; Brook, MA. Preparation and Applications of Silicone Emulsions Using Biopolymers in Biomedical Applications of Polymer Colloids. 2003. Chapter 11, pages 309-329. Elaïssari, Abdelhamid, Ed.; Mercel Dekker Inc. Invited Manuscript.
8. Brook, MA; Bartzoka, V; Zelisko, P; Walsh, M. Silicone-Protein Copolymers: Controlling Interfacial and Protein Stabilization in Organosilicone Chemistry: From Molecules to Materials, 2003, Vol. 5, pages 606-611. Auner, N; Weis, J, Eds. VCH: Weinheim. ISBN: 3-527-30670-6. Invited Manuscript.
7. Zelisko, PM; Bartzoka, V; Brook, MA. Exploiting Silicone-Protein Interactions: Stabilization Against Denaturation at Interfaces in Symposium Series No. 838 Synthesis and Properties of Silicones and Silicone-Modified Materials, Clarson, Fitzgerald, Owen, Smith, and Van Dyke eds.. 2003. Chapter 19, pages 212-221. ISBN: 0-8421-3804-9. Invited manuscript.
6. Zelisko, PM; Brook, MA. Stability of α-Chymotrypsin and Lysozyme Entrapped in Water-in-Silicone Oil Emulsions. Langmuir, 2002, 18(23), 8982-8987.
5. Brook, MA; Zelisko, PM; Walsh, MJ; Crowley, JN. Silicone-Protein Surfactants: Stability of Water-in-Silicone Oil Emulsions. Silicon Chemistry, 2002, 1, 99-106.
4. Brook, MA; Zelisko, PM; Bartzoka, V. Delivery of proteinacious materials from silicone protected microparticles and water-in-silicone oil emulsions. Proceedings – 28th International Symposium on Controlled Release of Bioactive Materials and 4th Consumer & Diversified Products Conference, San Diego, CA, United States, June 23-27, 2001. 2001, 2, 997-998.
3. Zelisko, PM; Brook, MA. Modified Silicones for the Stabilisation of Proteins and Enzymes in Emulsions: Potential Vaccine Delivery Systems. Polymer Preprints (Am. Chem. Soc. Div. Polym. Chem), 2001, 42(2), 115-116.
2. Brook, MA; Zelisko, PM. Exploiting Silicone-Protein Interactions: Stabilization Against Denaturation at Interfaces. Polymer Preprints (Am. Chem. Soc. Div. Polym. Chem.), 2001, 42(1), 97-98.
1. Chang, J; Schwalm, J-DR; Zelisko, PM. Phenytoin-Associated T-Cell Pseudolymphoma: A Case Report and Literature Review. Annals of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. 1999, 32(2), 100-103.
4. Frampton, MB; Zelisko, PM; Marquardt, D. 2016. Siloxane-Containing Phospholipids, Compositions and Uses Thereof. US Patent 10,294,253 B2. Issued May 21, 2019.
3. Zelisko, PM; Frampton, MB. Siloxane-Containing Hybrid Materials, US Patent 9,481,766 to Brock University. Issued November 1, 2016.
2. Zelisko, PM; Séguin, JP. Silane Containing Coatings, US Patent 9,403,993 to Vanchem Performance Chemicals. Issued August 2, 2016.
1. Zelisko, PM; Arnelien, K; Frampton, M. Enzyme-Mediated Cross-Linking of Silicone Polymers, US Patent 8,383,755 to Brock University. Issued February 26, 2013.
- CHEM 2P20: Principles of Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 2P21: Principles of Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 4P60: Principles of Polymer Chemistry
- CHEM 4P61: Principles of Silicon Chemistry
• Andrea Blais (Lab Manager)
• Paria Azadi
• Laura Voigt
• Phoebe Booth
• Julio Trevino
• Zachary Raczywolski
High School Mentorship Students
• Kevin Stefanchuk
• Aimé Lopez Aguilar
• Alexandria Albano
• Amanda Antaya
• Karen Arnelien
• Ivan Bartakovic
• Annuschka Bork (Mentorship Student)
• Shelby Burattini
• Cassy Carpino
• Zobia Chaudhry (Mentorship student)
• Jaaziel Cruz
• Shawna Daley
• Jocelyn DeJong
• Ann Dion
• Biran Falk-Dotan
• Kelly Duggan
• Kassandra Emberson
• Victor Ferrão
• Jackie Fletcher
• Tamara Foster
• Dr. Mark Frampton
• Kayleigh Hagerman
• Nathan Hann
• Di Hu
• Daniel Izzo
• Aleksandar Jovic
• Wai-Ting Kwong
• Taylor Laekeman (Mentorship Student)
• Jesse Lam
• Kevin Lavellee
• Amy Lin (Mentorship Student)
• Caroline Lombardi
• Werik Renato Zanetti Lopes
• Bianca Marcella
• Kim May
• Kelly McCord
• Layla Mofid
• James Myers
• Leslie Nash
• Amin Nasresfahani
• Daniella Pattitucci (Mentorship Student)
• Chelsea Pretty
• Caroline Promnitz
• Bruce Racey
• Jacqueline Séguin
• Jordan Shorey
• Jeff Smith
• Heidi Stanisic
• Shawnnah Staples
• Izabela Subczynska
• Ildiko Szolosi
• Patricia Tongkoua
• Helen Tran (Mentorship student)
• Ateeya Vawda (Mentorship student)
• Rebekah Vince
• Ramon Vieira
• Ela Zasowski
• Dr. Laura Zepeda