Adjunct Professor, Chemistry
Welcome to the Li research group! We are a bioanalytical chemistry research group homed at the Department of Chemistry, Brock University. We aim to develop novel analytical tools to address meaningful biological and biomedical questions. Our lab is located at Cairns Family Health and Bioscience Research Complex, a wonderful place for conducting transdisplinary research and just a short drive from Niagara Falls!
Bioanalytical Chemistry, DNA Nanotechnology, Biotechnology, Disease Diagnostics, Cell imaging
I welcome students and scholars from all levels to contact me for potential research opportunities in our research group.
We are a bioanalytical chemistry research group, aiming to develop novel analytical tools to address meaningful biological and biomedical questions. Specifically, we are interested in interfacing bioanalytical chemistry with DNA nanotechnology to fabricate tools for 1) diseases diagnosis at point-of-care settings; 2) dynamic monitoring key nucleic acids and proteins in various biochemical processes; and 3) addressing fundamental questions in nucleic acid chemistry and DNA nanotechnology. For more information, please visit our research group website at www.ligroupbrocku.com.
Publications (*corresponding author)
- Soleymani, L.;* Li, F.* The mechanistic challenges and advantages of biosensor miniaturization into the nanoscale. ACS Sensors, 2017, 2, 458-467.
- Li, F.;* Li, J.; Tang, Y.; Wang, C.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C.* Targeted enlargement of aptamer functionalized gold nanoparticles for quantitative protein analysis. Proteomes, 2017, 5, 1.
Invited contribution in the special issue of “Approaches to Top-Down Proteomics: In Honor of Prof. Patrick H. O’Farrell”.
- Yang, X.; Tang, Y.; Traynor, S. M.; Li, F.* Regulation of DNA strand displacement using allosteric DNA toehold. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2016, 138, 14076-14082.
This work was featured at Brock News and St. Catharines Standard.
- Li, F.*; Tang, Y.; Traynor, S. M.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C.* Kinetics of Proximity-Induced Intramolecular DNA Strand Displacement. Analytical Chemistry, 2016, 88, 152-8157.
- Yang, X.; Tang, Y.; Mason, S. D.; Chen, J.; Li, F.* Enzyme-powered three dimensional DNA nanomachine for DNA walking, payload release, and biosensing. ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 2324-2330.
This work was featured at Popular Science, Brock News, MDT News, ZDNet, Catalyst (Carleton University), GyartasTrend (Hungary), and MedPortal (Russia).
- Yang, X.; Tang, Y.; Alt, R. R.; Xie, X.; Li, F.* Emerging techniques for ultrasensitive protein analysis. Analyst, 2016, 141, 3473-3481.
Invited Review in “Emerging Investigator” theme issue and selected as part of the “Recent Hot review articles” collection.
- Tang, Y.; Xu, Y.; Li, F.; Jamiff, L.; Steve, E. Hrudey; Li, X.-F. Non-targeted identification of peptides and disinfection byproducts in water. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 2016, 42, 259-266
- Tang, X.; Li, F.; Huang, G.; Li, X.-F., Mass spectrometry analysis of peptides distributed in environment, Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry, 2016, Accepted (Invited Contribution)
- Chen, J.; Deng B.; Wu, P.; Li, F.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C.; Zhang, H.; Hou, X. Amplified binding-induced homogeneous assay through catalytic cycling of analyte for ultrasensitive protein detection. Chemical Communication, 2016, 52, 1816-1819.
- Tang, Y.; Wang, Z.; Yang, X.; Chen, J.; Liu, L.; Zhao, W.; Le, X. C.; Li, F.* Constructing real-time, wash-free, and reiterative sensors for cell surface proteins using binding-induced dynamic DNA assembly. Chemical Science, 2015, 6, 5729-5733.
- Tang, Y.; Lin, Y.; Yang, X.; Wang, Z.; Le, X. C.; Li, F.* Universal strategy to engineer catalytic DNA hairpin assemblies for protein analysis. Analytical Chemistry, 2015, 87, 8063-8066.
- Li, F.;# Zhang, H.;# Wang, Z.; Newbigging, M. A.; Reid, S. M.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Aptamers facilitating amplified detection of biomolecules. Analytical Chemistry, 2015, 87, 274-292 (#These authors contributed equally to this paper)
- Paliwoda, E. R.;# Li, F.;# Reid, S. M.; Lin, Y.; Le, X. C. Sequential strand displacement beacon for detection of DNA coverage on functionalized gold nanoparticles. Analytical Chemistry, 2014, 86, 6138-6143. (#These authors contributed equally to this paper)
- Ali, M.M.; Li, F.; Zhang Z.; Zhang, K.; Kang, D.-K.; Ankrum, J.; Le, X. C.; Zhao, W. Rolling circle amplification: a versatile tool for chemical biology, materials sciences and medicine. Chemical Society Reviews, 2014, 43, 3324-3341.
- Li, F.; Aeran, R.; Pone, E. J.; Kang D.-K.; Liu L.; Le X.C.; Zhao W. Probe and control of cell-cell interactions using bioengineered tools. In “Miro and Nanoengineering of the Cell Surface”, edited by Weian Zhao and Jeffery M. Karp. Elsevier. 2014
- Deng, B.; Lin, Y.; Wang, C.; Li, F.; Wang, Z.; Zhang, H.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Aptamer binding assays for proteins: the thrombin example-a review. Analytica Chimica Acta, 2014, 837, 1-15.
- Zhang, H.;# Li, F.;# Dever, B.; Li, X-F.; Le, X. C. DNA-mediated homogeneous binding assays for nucleic acids and proteins. Chemical Reviews, 2013, 113, 2812-2841. (#These authors contributed equally to this paper)
- Li, F.; Zhang, H.; Wang, Z.; Li, X.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Dynamic DNA assemblies mediated by binding-induced DNA strand displacement. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2013, 135, 2443-2446.
- Zhang, H.; Li, F.; Dever, B.; Wang, C.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X.C. Assembling DNA through affinity binding to achieve ultrasensitive protein detection. Angewante Chemie International Edition, 2013, 52, 10698-10705.
- Li, F.; Lin, Y.; Le, X. C. Binding-induced formation of DNA three-way junctions and its application in real-time protein detection and DNA strand displacement. Analytical Chemistry, 2013, 85, 10835-10841.
- Li, F.; Zhang, H.; Dever, B.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Thermal stability of DNA functionalized gold nanoparticles. Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2013, 24, 1790-1797.
- Zhang, H.; Li, F.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Yoctomole detection of proteins using solid phase binding-induced DNA assembly. Methods, 2013, 64, 322-330.
- Liu, Y.; Wang, C.; Li, F.; Shen, S.; Le, X. C.; Li, X-F. DNase-mediated single-cycle selection of aptamers for blotted proteins on a membrane. Analytical Chemistry, 2012, 84, 7603-7606.
- Li, F.; Zhang, H.; Lai C.; Li, X-F.; Le, X. C. A molecular translator that acts by binding-induced DNA strand displacement for a homogeneous protein assay. Angewante Chemie International Edition, 2012, 51, 9317-9320.
- Li, F.; Dever, B.; Zhang, H.; Li, X-F.; Le, X. C. Mesoporous materials in peptidome analysis. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2012, 51, 3518-3519.
- Li, F.; Li, J.; Wang, C.; Zhang, J.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Competitive protection of aptamer-functionalized gold nanoparticles by controlling DNA assembly. Analytical Chemistry, 2011, 83, 6464-6467.
- Hamula, C.L.A.; Zhang, H.; Li, F.; Wang, Z.; Le, X. C.; Li, X.-F. Selection and analytical applications of aptamers binding microbial pathogens. Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 2011, 30, 1587-1597.
- Li, F.; Zhao, Q.; Wang, C.; Lu, X.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Detection of E. coli O157: H7 using gold nanoparticle labeling and inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 2010, 82, 3399-3403.
- Wagner, M.K.; Li, F.; Li, J.; Li, X.-F.; Le, X. C. Use quantum dots in the development of assays for cancer biomarkers. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2010, 397, 3213-3224.
- Goulko, A.A.; Li, F.; Le, X. C. Bioanalytical applications of aptamer and molecular beacon probes in fluorescence affinity assays. Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 2009, 28, 878-892.
1. Wang, Y.; Zhang, Z.; Zhang, L.; Li, F.; Chen, L.; Wan, Q. H. Magnetically immobilized beds for capillary electrochromatography. Analytical Chemistry, 2007, 79, 5082-5086.
CHEM/BTEC5P38: Bioanalytical Chemistry
CHEM3P41: Instrumental Methods for Quantitative Analysis
CHEM2P42: Introduction to Analytical Chemistry
BTEC2P09: Introduction to Biotechnology