Science Start is a 5-week online preparation course designed for first-year students entering a degree program at Brock University with a biology component. Science Start will provide you with a combination of lessons, workshops, and lab tutorials. This program offers real-time instructor support and aims to ensure you have a strong understanding of biology fundamentals and the skills needed to be successful in future university courses.
- The program is available free of charge and will take approximately 20 hours to complete.
- Register before July 15th, 2020 to be entered into a draw for a $100 gift voucher for the Brock University Campus Store.
Science Start is a 5-week program running July 20, 2020 – August 22, 2020. The program is flexible, requiring about five hours a week whenever you can fit it in your schedule. If you are unable to complete the program by August 22 you will continue to have access to work through the material at your own pace, but you will not be able to participate in live chats and online support.
To register, please contact the Science Start Coordinator Alysha Johnson at email@example.com from your Brock email address. You will be given access to the Science Start Sakai site and will be able connect with some of the Team.
Questions and Answers
Is Science Start mandatory?
- No. Science Start is not mandatory, but it does provide an advantage for those who participate.
What platform is the course offered on?
- Science Start is offered on Sakai, Brock University’s learning management system.
I am unavailable during specific dates, am I still able to participate in the course?
- Yes. The dates provided are recommendations and access to the program will remain available after August 22, though the site will no longer be supported by staff.
What work is required for Science Start?
- Each lesson and lab are followed by an 8-10 question quiz to assess your understanding of the topics. Unlimited time and attempts are given for all quizzes. Each workshop consists of activities and questions for discussion.
Is Science Start graded?
- Science Start is a non-credit program, and a final grade will not be assigned. Quizzes and assignments are to assess your own understanding of the topic.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
Meet The Team
Alysha Johnson, B.Sc Medical Sciences, M.Sc Neurobiology and Physiology, Science Start Coordinator
I develop workshops and resources for Science Start to help students build on the skills they have entering university and prepare them to succeed within the academic environment. I also organize programming in the sciences through Brock University’s Lab Links to Careers to help students develop and gain confidence in their laboratory skills.
Devin Ward, B.Sc., M.Sc. Biological Sciences, Science Start Instructor
I create educational videos for Science Start and instruct and test students in Lab Links to Careers. I am currently enrolled in B.Ed. to teach secondary school science, biology, and physics.
Soumya Moonjely, B.Sc, M.A Bioethics, M.Sc Biotechnology, Ph.D Biotechnology, Learning Skills Specialist
I provide study skills support designed to enhance academic performance for students in all disciplines. My interests include research (microbiology) and helping students to improve their learning process. I also enjoy helping students in the Biological Sciences program to develop their technical and research skills.
Sarah Hall, B.Sc, M.Sc Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Lab Links Tester
I create educational videos for Science Start and instruct and test students in Lab Links to Careers. My research interests are in ecology and plant science. I enjoy working with students and encouraging them to accomplish their educational and career goals