Social media are the plethora of web sites, apps and programs such as Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat, that many people use to connect with friends and family, often sharing very personal information.
Many of us are using social media to stay connected with friends and family. We often share photos, news, thoughts and feelings that we may not want the world to know.
Unintended consequences of sharing may include:
- Coworkers learning personal information about you that you would rather they didn’t know.
- Criminals alerted to the fact that your home will be empty after you share your travel/vacation plans.
- Hurt feelings of friends and family members that learn important news online instead of in-person.
Please be mindful of what you are posting on social media and who you are sharing it with.
Below are some guidelines to help protect your confidentiality when using social media:
- Be mindful of what you are posting.
- Be careful what you post to social media, it never really goes away.
- Do not upload anything you wouldn’t want everyone to see.
- Do not upload or share sensitive information.
Remember, you are never truly anonymous on social media!
If you require any additional info on social media, please contact the Help Desk at x4357 or email us at email@example.com
If you would like to learn more about Social Media, or Cyber Security:
- Visit Focus on Learning to register for an upcoming Cyber Security Awareness workshop
- View the Cybersecurity Awareness: Social Networking at Work course on LinkedIn Learning