Continental Philosophy (existentialism, phenomenology), Feminism, Posthumanism and New Materialism, Environmental Philosophy and Environmental (Post)humanities
- “A Joyful Extinction”: An inquiry into the philosophical and cultural understandings of the Anthropocene with a focus on the concept of extinction–the 6th mass extinction event but also the potential extinction of the human.
- “Rethinking the Human: Posthuman Vulnerability and its Ethical Potential” (funded by a SSHRC Insight grant 2019-2022)
- Environmental posthumanities
- Co-Principal Investigator for “Beyond Sustainability: Radical Transformation Through System Thinking” with co-PI Liette Vasseur (Biology) (New Frontiers in Research Funds – Exploration grant, 2020-2022)
- Member of the UNESCO Chair on Community Sustainability’s Research Team
- Co-investigator with Adam Dickinson (English) and Francine McCarthy (Earth Sciences) on the project “Sounding the Anthropocene” (Explore grant 2020-2021)
Listen to “Entangled Humans,” episode 2 of season 2 of Foreword. Introducing the Humanities podcast, July 7, 2021.
Watch my discussion with Xin Liu on “From the Anthropocene to Bat Soups: Thinking Extinction (our own and that of others)”, Kollegium Talks, Think Corner, University of Helsinki, April 1, 2021.
Listen to “Can Beauvoir’s Existentialism be a Posthumanism?” The Australasian Posthumanities podcast, March 17, 2021.
Listen to Rebecca Comay, Brian Leiter and I on the CBC Ideas documentary on Friedrich Nietzsche (aired on September 16, 2013).