Brock University Human Rights and Equity Office is proud to present our first bi-annual HRE Film Series!
October 9, 23, 30 November 6, 13, 20, 27
Human Rights and Equity’s Fall 2019 Film Series is taking place over 7 Wednesday nights in October and November this year. We are showcasing popular films themed after our department’s four operating pillars: anti-abelism, anti-racism, sexual violence, and human rights.
All of our screenings are free, and each screening will feature an opportunity afterwards to sit and chat about the movie with the HRE Peer to Peer members. We’re happy to hang out and talk about what you liked, didn’t like, and how it impacts human rights, or answer any questions you have about what you just watched.
We are also featuring a shorts night to showcase the work of filmmakers in the Niagara and Toronto region. Submission deadline is November 1st,2019. Date and location TBA.
We are always searching for members to add to our curating committee. Responsibilities include:
- Film selection and suggestions
- Panel member selection for each film
- Marketing help to expand visibility
- Planning meetings
If you are interested in joining, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Short Film Submission Guidelines
Are you interested in submitting a short film that you made for this series? Please see the instructions below to do so.
Submission deadline: November 1, 2019, 11:59 PM EST
- Short film, maximum 30 minutes
- Fiction, non-fiction, art films, animations, and documentaries
- Your film can have been shown at another festival/screening prior to this event. Its screening does not have to be exclusive to this event.
We invite submissions that showcase the complexities surrounding human rights, harassment, anti-ableism, anti-racism, and sexual violence. Whether it be an engaging story or creative explanation, we want films that are thought-provoking and spark engaging discussion surrounding the above social justice issues.
To submit, please email email@example.com with the following:
- Film creator’s full name, post-secondary institution, and year
- Run time
- A short (maximum 200 words) description of your film
- Upload a trailer or short preview to Vimeo or YouTube and submit link with application
- Send a .mov, .avi, .mp4 trailer or short preview
Applicants will be notified mid November. Once notified, event details surrounding screening logistics will be available.
For further questions concerning this event, or any submissions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.