What do I do in the event I have a possible concussion?
On Campus Services:
- Students can go to Student Health Services (SHS) at Harrison Hall or Campus Pharmacy and see the receptionist who will help them to make an appointment to see a physician. SHS hours and location can be found on our contact page.
- Students who are varsity athletes, can also be seen by the sports medicine physician at Athletic Services also in Harrison Hall.
- If after seeing the student, the physician makes a diagnosis of a concussion, SHS will ask the student to provide consent to share this information with the Registrar’s office.
- The Registrar’s Office will send an email to notify relevant instructors/faculty members about the concussion diagnosis.
- The student will be provided with follow up appointments and monitored on a weekly basis at a minimum by the SHS.
- Once the student is ready to be re-integrated back to class, they will be provided with a medical certificate to give to their instructors.
If student is diagnosed by an off-campus physician:
- Students can download the Brock University Student’s Medical Certificate from Brock’s website and get it filled by the physician they saw.
- The student will be responsible to provide that initial notification to relevant faculty.
- At the earliest opportunity students may go to Student Health Services for necessary follow up and re-integration into regular classes as above.
- Once the student is ready to return to class, they will be provided with another Medical Certificate to give to their instructors.
Last updated November 7/2017.