The Vitae Professional Development Program provides a certificate of completion signed by the Dean of Graduate Studies. The Vitae Certification requires participants to attend a minimum of 30 credit hours over the duration of their graduate education. The certification length requirement is consistent with other institutional offerings and other standard professional skill trainings outside of academia.
Competency-based or skill focussed workshops provide you with the opportunity to target a specific skill area. The opportunity to reflect, talk and rehearse your skills will help you build personal insight and seek experiences to demonstrate your competence.
Currently, there are 3 professional development and training certificates offered:
Comprised of a minimum of 12 credit hours accrued through VITAE/FGS coordinated workshops with the additional credit hours accrued from workshops or training coordinated by other VITAE partners.
Comprised of a minimum of 20 credit hours accrued through VITAE/FGS coordinated workshops or training.
Comprised of a minimum of 20 credit hours accrued through VITAE/FGS coordinated workshop or training (i.e. SHIFT Professional Development Conference, networking events, externships, and other Career, Coop & Experiential workshops)
Customize your Certificate
VITAE/FGS credit hours can be earned through skill-focused workshops and experiential learning. There are a few routes or options for earning credit hours:
1. 10 hours of the Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) offered by Centre for Pedagogical Innovation can apply to FGS/ Vitae Certification.
3. 8 credit hours can be earned through your participation at the SHIFT Professional Development Conference co-hosted by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Career Services.
4. Independent Study: Students who have accumulated 15 credit hours can submit an experiential learning report that articulates and verifies the demonstration of a target skill. Verification from both the student’s supervisor and/or community member is required.
** Individuals who have exceeded the 30 credit hour criteria can earn additional certification, however, credit hours cannot be duplicated toward more than one certificate.
Note that proof of attendance is required in order to verify your participation. When applying for your certification, please include either:
- digital/paper copies of registration receipts/conference programs (for presenters)
- signature of event organizer (print form)
For more information, please contact Karin Perry (email@example.com)