Showcasing Graduate Student Research and Learning
This year, the Mapping the New Knowledges (MNK) Conference that you know and love is back with a new, virtual format.
MNK: GRADconnect is designed to connect you with your fellow students, researchers, and professional colleagues and allow you to:
- Share what you have learned in a professional environment
- Learn from others and the work they have done and recognize opportunities for collaboration
- Make meaningful inter and transdisciplinary connections with others (within and outside of your discipline)
2021 Conference Details
Dates: April 12 – 16, 2021
Daily Plenary Talks and Group Discussions
Location: virtual (online)
We encourage you to register and “build your own” conference experience by choosing what you attend and when.
Frequently Asked Questions
MNK: GRADconnect will be a weel long virtual conference and showcase. Throughout the week, we will offer engaging sessions, including presentations and Q&A’s, with professional experts. All graduate students are invited to submit a video presentation of their research or a topic of their choosing. Videos will be displayed on an event website and will be availble for viewing throughout the event. There will also be a virtual conference networking lounge where you can connect with other students in live discussions, or through the chat function.
Anyone at Brock University is welcome to attend the conference! Students do not need to submit a video in order to attend.
ALL graduate students across all faculties and programs are welcome to submit videos, whether they are enrolled in course-based or research-based programs.
While academic research has traditionally been presented at the conference, students who are not engaged in research are encouraged to consider presenting what they have learned or work they have done.
Sample video topics:
- Academic research activities and projects *at any stage, from proposal to finished thesis or major research project*
- Course-based projects
- Reflections on experiential education experiences (co-ops, practicums, service learning projects)
- Business ideas, pitches, or plans
What you choose to present is entirely up to you!
Video presentations must be:
- pre-recorded, and submitted via wetransfer to email@example.com by April 2, 2021.
- recorded in landscape view and on the highest volume seeting possible to ensure audio is clear
- submitted in MP4 format – we are not able to accept other formats
- no longer than 15 minutes in length – short videos are welcome!
- accompanied by a written abstract or presentation overview of no more than 250 words that is written in plain language (required upon registration as a presenter
How you present your information is up to you! Sample presentation ideas:
- record yourself giving a traditional oral presentation
- stand next to your computer or TV monitor and walk the audience through a powerpoint presentation
- create a visual (research poster, brochure, infographic, comic strip, animation) and explain it.
When designing your presentation please remember that viewers may not be from your particular field of study. As such, use plain language instead of jargon and field-specific terms. In general, please keep your audience in mind when preparing your presentation.
If your would like to create a research poster to present, you are welcome to use these templates:
MNK: GRADconnect participants will have the opportunity to win one of three Visa prepaid gift cards offered for the Data Management Plan Challenge!
Data Management Plans (DMP) are living documents used by researchers to record and keep track of the ways that their data will be created, collected, organized, analyzed, stored, protected, and preserved throughout the research lifecycle. Increasingly, DMP are required by national and international granting agencies. The Data Management Plan Challenge is an opportunity for emerging researchers to adopt DMP as part of their very own research practice. For an example of a DMP, click here.
If you choose to participate in the DMP Challenge, you will be asked to submit a completed DMP along with your final video submission. Submissions will be reviewed by a panel; prize winners will be announced the week of the conference. The Challenge is sponsored by the Brock University Library.
For more information about Research Data Management, visit: https://researchguides.library.brocku.ca/researchdata
MNK: GRADconnect Prep Sessions
Explore Our Plenary Sessions
Quality vs. Quantity: Balancing Work/Life in Academia
Presented by: Dr. Brian Roy, PhD, Interim Associate Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies and Professor, Kinesiology
Crafting an Influential Story
Presented by: Kerry O’Brien, BA, BEd, Talent Development Specialist, Shopify
Growing Through Challenge: More Than Positive Outlook
Presented by: Maggie Whitfield, MEd, Manager, A-Z Learning Services
Evocative Knowledge Mobilization: Transforming data using Literary and Visual Representations
Presented by: Dr. Sheila O’Keefe-McCarthy, RN, PhD, CNCC (C), Associate Professor and Research Chair