May 27, 2022 – (St. Catharines, ON)
Over the last few weeks, news and social media channels have been flooded with stories that have felt heavy to many. We acknowledge that recent news updates alongside continued navigation of pandemic/post-pandemic spaces, balancing graduate workloads and finding harmony between all outputs of your lives can feel overwhelming.
We want you to know that your experiences are valid. We want you to know that you are not alone.
Acknowledging that reaching out for support may not always be easy, we have gathered a list of resources that we hope can be a starting point for you discovering supports that work best for your own well-being, mental health and situation.
Personal Counselling & MySSP App
Personal counselling is available to all Brock graduate students 24/7. You can speak to a professionally trained counsellor in a confidential space, completely free.
- For an appointment call 905-688-5550 x 6380 or visit ST400 on campus
- For urgent 24/7 telephone counselling, call 1-833-BROCK33 (1-833-2762-533)
You can also download the MySSP app (provided free by Brock) and receive confidential 24/7 support via text or telephone with a professional counsellor. Support is available in English, French, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese (simplified Chinese via chat).
The app also offers an extensive library of mental health and well-being resources, including articles, podcasts, infographics and videos and unlimited free access to the virtual fitness app LIFT. The app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. When creating a profile, be sure to enter ‘Brock University Student Counselling Program’ as the school.
For other avenues of well-being, wellness, and mental health supports, please consider:
- Canadian Mental Health Association Niagara
- Community Addiction Services of Niagara
- Wellness Together: Mental Health and Substance Use Support
- Distress Centre Niagara
- Good2Talk (confidential support services for post-secondary students)
- Niagara Holistic Wellness Portal
- Niagara Regional Police Service Crisis Outreach and Support Team
- Provincial Mental Health Supports
- Access to fitness classes via ExpressFit on Demand
- Brock University Library’s Library Yoga YouTube playlist
Additional App Recommendations
If you are looking for a resource that is more portable and accessible to your every day, perhaps a mobile-based app could work for you. While there are several support resources online that you can access, here are a few suggestions to kickstart your search to find the best option for you: