This program is designed to encourage the development of critical thinking, analysis and communication skills.
Advanced accounting insight
By facilitating personal growth and the ability to adapt and respond to a complex and changing environment, the program helps you acquire advanced knowledge in accounting and related aspects of business. The Diploma program is completed over four months (January to April).
Accountancy Diploma Curriculum
We want you to be on the pathway to being a strong accountant and a strategic leader.
The integrated and innovative coursework in the Diploma ensures that you receive an unparalleled accounting education. Throughout the program, critical thinking, analysis and communication skills are developed through the use of case study analysis, student discussion, presentations and research papers.
Diploma with CPA Pathway
In the Diploma program, you will take four courses that map to all of the CPA electives (Assurance, Finance, Tax & Performance Management), plus one general business elective.
Frequently asked questions
The Graduate Diploma in Accountancy program will be completed on a full-time basis over one four month term (January – April).
Students who achieve a final overall average of 75% in the Graduate Diploma in Accountancy program may transfer directly to the Master of Accountancy (MAcc) with the approval of the Goodman Graduate Programs Office.
Those students who opt to transfer to the MAcc will not receive or will relinquish the Graduate Diploma in Accountancy and instead may use the credits earned in the Diploma to fulfill half of the MAcc degree requirements.
Please see the Admission Requirements section below for full details.
We strongly recommend that anyone interested in the Graduate Diploma program contact the Goodman Graduate Programs Office through the Goodman Graduate Student Communication Portal first to request a pre-assessment of eligibility, prior to applying.
Additional program information
The total cost of your Accounting diploma program reflects tuition, student fees, books and living expenses. Full-time students take one term to complete the program.
The following estimates are based on 2017-2018 fees and may be subject to change. Tuition and student fees are due at the beginning of each semester.
Tuition is charged on a per course basis. Each 5PXX course is equal to one half (.5) credit.
Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents: $955.64 per half credit course
International Students: $2,392 per half credit course
tuition and related fees
This chart reflects how much you will be paying to attend the Goodman Diploma in Accountancy.
|Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents||International Students|
|Tuition for 5 Courses||$4,778||$11,074|
|International Recovery Fee||n/a||$750|
|Student Fees and Bus Pass||$366||$366|
|UHIP Health Coverage||n/a||$612|
|Health and Dental Plan||$475||$475|
|Total Estimated Costs||$5,619||$13,277|
Living Expenses and Books
Living expenses and books are extra. We recommend that you budget approximately $9,000-$12,000 per year for living expenses and books, depending on your lifestyle.
Financial aid is limited, as we prefer to keep overall tuition costs affordable.
Students may apply for RA, TA, part time instructor and marker/grader positions.
Your academic and professional experience in accounting is the most important part of your application.
Admission to the Accounting Diploma program is extremely competitive, and we take all aspects of your application into consideration. Please note that a minimum average of 75% does not guarantee admission.
In addition to our minimum admission requirements, we also consider your personal qualities, such as leadership ability, communication skills, motivation, dedication, and commitment to community engagement. At Goodman, we encourage students to nurture and develop both sides of their brain by growing personally and academically.
- Four year Goodman bachelor’s degree in Accounting (BAcc) or an approved four year bachelor’s degree completed in Accounting, in Canada, that fulfills the equivalent CPA Ontario 51 credit hour prerequisites (please note that the 51 credit hour prerequisites exceed the PEP entry requirements).
|Subject Area||Credit-hours Required|
|Financial Accounting (Intro., Inter., Adv.)||15|
|Cost and Management Accounting (Intro., Inter.)||6|
|Advanced Accounting Elective||3|
|Audit (Intro., Adv., EDP)||9|
|Taxation (Personal, Corporate)||6|
|Business Information Systems||3|
|Finance/ Financial Management||3|
|Economics (Micro., Macro.)||3|
*Please note that international degrees obtained outside of Canada will not qualify for admission into the Diploma in Accounting program or the MAcc program.
*Students who have completed their undergraduate degree at a Canadian institution other than Goodman are strongly encouraged to request a pre-assessment of eligibility on the Graduate Portal prior to applying.
- Minimum 75 per cent academic average in the last two years of undergraduate degree
- Minimum 75 per cent academic average in key accounting prerequisite courses (with no grade below 60)
- Two academic references provided by Accounting Faculty members
- Minimum English Language Proficiency score (if applicable): TOEFL: IBT 105 /Academic IELTS: 7.5
- Do you need this? Please contact us for an assessment.
- Goodman may request an English Language score from any applicant whose first language is not English.
We’re here to help. Contact one of our staff members regarding the application process and we’ll guide you through all of your available options.
Summary of Application Documents
We would be happy to check on the status of your application upon request and we will contact you be email in the event that we require more information, would like to speak with you or make a decision on your application.
All applications and application documents for the Accounting Diploma program must be submitted electronically.
All applications must include:
- Online OUAC Application
- Non Refundable Application Fee ($130 Canadian)
- The application fee can be paid by credit card or by online banking. All application fees are received by OUAC, not by Brock University.
- Required Documents
- Within three business days of your application payment being processed you will be contacted by email by Brock University. The email will include instructions to activate your my.brocku.ca account and electronically submit your required application documents.
- Please visit the document upload instructions and document types page for more information
- Scans of original transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- The scanned copy must be of your official transcript, not your student/self-serve copy.
- Any documents that are not in English or French must be translated into English and notarized before they are accepted. Both the translated and the original version must be scanned and uploaded.
- If you are a Brock student, your Brock transcript will be uploaded for you.
- Two electronic reference reports
- Both reference reportsMUST be provided by accounting faculty members
- Reference reports can only be submitted using the Brock University electronic reference system.
- Your referees will be emailed automatically with instructions to complete the reference reports once your application has been received by Brock University.
- Statement of interest
- Your statement of interest should be one page, single or double spaced.
- Graduate Studies Internal Scholarship/Award Application
- Completion of this form will ensure that you are considered for any awards/scholarships you may be eligible for
- Scan of official TOEFL, IELTS or ITELP score (if applicable)
- Do you need this? Please contact us for an assessment.
- The Goodman School of Business may request an English Language score from any applicant whose first language is not English.
If you are offered admission to our program, you will be required mail official transcripts and official proof of degree completion. Please visit the document types page for further details.
Once submitted, all documents are the property of Brock University and will not be returned.
- Review the admission requirements to confirm you meet the eligibility requirements. If you are unsure of your eligibility, request a pre-assessment through the Goodman Graduate Portal.
- Complete the online OUAC application.
- Upload the required application documents to your my.brocku.ca account.
- Monitor your application status through your my.brocku.ca account.