This program gives you an opportunity to upgrade your academic record and gain knowledge of North American business principles. It is a carefully designed transition year that can help you bridge the gap between undergraduate studies and your MBA or MBA (ISP) experience.
The Certificate in Administrative Studies (CAS) is right for you if you:
Would like to go on to an MBA or MBA (ISP) program but your grades do not meet the minimum admission requirements. The CAS will provide students with an opportunity to create a recent academic record.
Have an international background and want a comprehensive introduction to the foundations of a North American business education.
Have a non-business background and would like to gain exposure to the foundations of management for the purposes of career advancement.
Goodman CAS program at-a-glance
|Available entry points||September (Fall term)|
|Study options||On-campus, full-time only|
|Duration of the program||One year (eight months)|
|International exchange available?||No|
|Deadline to apply||May 1|
|Average time for review of completed applications||Three to four weeks|
For more information, please see below.
We expect each student to bring a unique and diverse background and experience to the program.
The goal of the program is provide you with an opportunity to demonstrate recent academic success.
As the majority of our CAS graduates will continue into one of our graduate programs, the application review takes all aspects of your application into consideration. Candidates are selected based on their academic ability, professional and leadership experience, and future potential for achievement and success in the business world. At Goodman, we encourage students to nurture and develop both sides of their brain by growing personally and academically, thereby building a strong foundation for graduate success.
|Degree type||Four-year bachelor’s degree in any non-business degree||Must be from an accredited institution.|
|GPA||C / 65% (Canadian equivalent)||GPA is calculated based on last two years of undergraduate degree only.|
|English Language Proficiency*||Academic IELTS - 6.5 overall||Minimum of 6.0 in each section is required.|
|or||TOEFL iBT - 88 overall||Minimum of 21 in Speaking and Writing is required.|
|or||Pearson Test of English (Academic) - 60 overall||Overall Minimum of 60 in each section is required.|
|Work experience||One year|
*If applicable. The Graduate Programs Office reserves the right to request English Language Proficiency scores from any applicant.
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR ELIGIBILITY FOR THE CAS?
Request a FREE pre-assessment.*
It can be an expensive risk to complete the application process for a CAS, only to discover that you don’t qualify for admission. At Goodman, we don’t want you to waste your time or money. Send us your transcripts, resumé and IELTS/TOEFL score (if applicable), and we will conduct a free pre-assessment to not only let you know if you are eligible for one of our programs, but also if we think your application will be competitive enough for admission.
Create a profile to submit your resumé and transcripts by visiting the Goodman Graduate Portal.
*Please note that a pre-assessment does not guarantee admission to the university. Students must submit an official application for admissions consideration.
The application deadline for the CAS program is May 1. If you are planning to apply after this deadline, please contact our Graduate Program Office before submitting the online application.
Application review typically takes two to three weeks from when we receive a completed application and all required documents. Admission decisions will be posted electronically to your my.brocku.ca account once an admission decision has been made.
SUMMARY OF APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
All applications and application documents for the traditional MBA or MBA (ISP) program must be submitted electronically. Hard copy application documents will not be accepted.
If you just wish to apply to the CAS program, and do not wish to attend the master’s program upon completion please contact us directly through the portal for instructions.
FOR TRADITIONAL MBA APPLICANTS:
If you are applying to the CAS for the purpose of improving your academic average for entry into the traditional MBA program, please contact us directly through the portal for instructions. Please note that conditional admission into the traditional MBA program will not be considered unless a valid GMAT/GRE score is also provided. Applicants applying to the CAS with the intention of also applying for the traditional MBA program will be expected to complete the CAS with strong academic performance and provide a strong GMAT score before admission into the MBA program will be considered.
FOR MBA (ISP) APPLICANTS:
Students looking to apply to our CAS program to improve their academic history so they can enter the MBA ISP should apply directly to the MBA ISP program through the OUAC online application. When we review the application, we will confirm that you are interested in attending the CAS program and if your application is successful you will be given two offers, one for our CAS program and one conditional offer for the next intake.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE:
- Online OUAC Application
- Non Refundable Application Fee ($140 CAD)
- The application fee can be paid by credit card or online banking. All application fees are received by OUAC, not by the Goodman School of Business at Brock University.
- Required Documents
- Within three business days of your application payment being processed you will be contacted via email by Brock University. The email will include instructions to activate your my.brocku.ca account and to upload your required application documents.
- Please visit the document upload instructions and document types page for more information.
- Scans of original transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- The scanned copy must be of your official transcript, not your student/self-serve copy.
- The transcript must also include the institution grading scale.
- Any documents that are not in English or French must be translated into English and notarized before they are accepted. Both the translated and the original version must be scanned and uploaded.
- If you are a Brock student, your Brock transcript will be uploaded for you.
- Three electronic reference reports
- Reference reports can be academic and/or professional.
- Reference reports can only be submitted using the Brock University electronic reference system.
- Your referees will be emailed automatically with instructions to complete the electronic reference report once your application has been received by Brock University.
- Please visit the referee FAQ webpage for more information.
- Statement of interest
- Your statement of interest should be one page (single or double spaced).
- Your statement of interest should address the following: Why you are applying to the program specifically, why you are applying to Brock/Goodman specifically, what your future career goals are, and why you would be an ideal candidate.
- Graduate Studies Internal Scholarship/Award Application
- Completion of this form will ensure that you are considered for any awards/scholarships for which you may be eligible.
- Ensure that you have pop-ups enabled in your web browser, then use the “Go To Form” button next to the “Graduate Student Internal Entrance Scholarship/Award Application” document on your portal account, to complete the required form (you must have pop-ups enabled for the form to open).
- Scan of official IELTS, TOEFL or PTE score (if applicable)
- Do you need this? Please contact the Graduate Programs Office for an assessment.
- Please note that the Goodman School of Business may request an English language score from any applicant.
- Please have IELTS/TOEFL scores sent electronically to Brock University – Goodman School of Business in addition to uploading a scan of your official score report to your my.brocku.ca account.
- A personal interview will be required
- To ensure we are able to get to know all applicants better, we have introduced an online interview platform for all applicants to this program. Given the volume of applications we receive, it is not possible to personally meet or speak to everyone.
- Preparing for your online interview
- Once we have done an initial review of your complete application to ensure you meet the requirements for our program, you will receive instructions by email on how to complete the online interview.
- You will have a chance to practice answering video interview questions and be able to review your practice responses after you submit your application.
If you are offered admission to our program and you are not already a Brock student, you will be required to send in official transcripts and official proof of degree completion. International students will also be required to provide proof of immigration status. Please visit the document types page for further details. Once submitted, all documents become the property of Brock University and will not be returned.
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION?
Tuition and student fees (subject to change) are due at the beginning of each semester.
|Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents||International Students|
|Student fees and bus pass||$1,150||$1,150|
|UHIP health coverage||Not applicable||$720|
|International recovery fee||Not applicable||$750|
|Health and dental plan||$475||$475|
|Total estimated costs||$18,280.90||$33,705.80|
LIVING EXPENSES AND BOOKS
Living expenses and books are extra. We recommend that you budget approximately $15,000-$20,000 per year for living expenses and books, depending on your lifestyle.
We do not have any financial aid available to CAS students at this time.
Through the CAS, you will develop practical strategies to help you succeed in a professional graduate school and open up new paths to success. CAS students take a carefully selected combination of introductory business courses. You will be taking these courses with your CAS classmates and undergraduate Business students.