NextGen Municipal Leadership Program

Gain the expertise you need to become a better leader in your organization. The content for this specialized program was developed in partnership with municipal CAOs and HR professionals across Niagara’s municipalities.

Program Schedule

Seminars take place Mondays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the Brock University campus.

Sept. 24
Oct. 1
Oct. 15
Oct. 22
Oct. 29
Nov. 5
Nov. 12
Nov. 19
Nov. 26
Dec. 3

Program cost

$2,600 + HST per participant

Instructors

Gain leadership insights from award-winning professors and industry experts who consistently receive over 90% satisfaction rates.

Seminar topics include

• Maximizing relationships: Understanding yourself and others through Personality Dimensions
  • Gaining trust and building employee morale
  • Municipal strategic planning process
  • Staff and council relations
  • Human resources for the non-HR manager
  • Managing in a unionized environment
  • Change leadership
  • Introduction to project management
  • How to develop and use Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to manage your organization’s success
  • Budgeting and financial management
  • Applied budgeting and financial management
  • Great leaders delegate
  • Leveraging the power of teams
  • Coaching for performance
  • Embracing the leadership challenge
  • Personal development plans

What participants are saying

“These courses are geared towards understanding the bigger picture. When I was in charge of one unit, that was my world, but now I need to look at everything and how it fits together. These courses opened my eyes to see that bigger picture and to understand how to be a better leader.”

– Darrin Forbes, Niagara Regional Police Service Inspector

KEY BENEFITS:

• Identify self-awareness and identifying opportunities to work with others to maximize performance
  • Understand your role in achieving success for the team and for the organization
  • Conduct performance management dealing with high and poor performers and having difficult conversations
  • Motivate and encourage your team to perform at consistently high levels (i.e., goal setting, shared achievements, milestones, etc.)
  • Identify individual leadership priorities and develop action plans with a focus on sustainability
  • Manage your response to change and its consequences as a leader and a support person
  • Understand basic financial principles, financial management tools and techniques necessary for sound decision making (such as the uses of financial information for accounting, taxation and decision making)
  • Understand mentoring and its role
  • Know the key requirements of relevant pieces of legislation that are important to effective develop and administration of HR programs