Gain the expertise you need to become a better leader in your organization. The content for this specialized program was developed in partnership with municipal CAOs and HR.
Date: October 19th, 2020 to December 1st, 2020
Location: Rankin Family Pavilion, Brock University
Participant Profile: This program is for you if you are a Municipal Leader, CAO, Treasurer, Clerk, Fire, Police, Public Health and Library Executive or a High-potential individual aspiring to become a leader in your municipality.
Maximizing Relationships & Building Employee Morale
- Develop an understanding of your strengths, weaknesses, and temperament style.
- Motivate and encourage your team to perform at consistently high levels (i.e., goal setting, shared achievements, milestones, etc.)
Municipal Strategic Planning Process
- Revitalize the mission, vision, and goals of your organization or division.
- Learn steps on how to effectively execute proposed goals.
Staff and Council Relations
- Develop an understanding of the different types of relationships that are present in a municipal environment and their sigificance.
- Understand your role within the municipality and learn different methods to prevent conflict between colleagues.
HR for Non-HR Managers
- Learn about the key requirements of effective Human Resources.
- Build awareness of the prohibited grounds of discrimination in the workplace.
Managing in a Unionized Environment
- Understand the challenges in managing in a long term union environment.
- Learn about collective agreement clauses that provoke disputes.
Leading Change in a municipal setting
- Understand many of the reasons why change initiatives fail leadership.
- Understand why some people resist change.
- Understand multiple models of effective change management including their implications for a successful change initiative.
Introduction to Project Management
- Understand project management in an overall sense.
- Learn how to schedule, control, and tackle uncertainty in projects.
HOW to develop and use kpis
- Learn how to develop, implement, and measure meaningful KPIs and performance measures to create a KPI culture.
- Use KPIs as navigational tools to enhance your business strategies and set priorities to achieve goals.
Budgeting and Financial Management
- Understand the broad aspects of financial management in a municipal environment.
- Learn about the complexity of municipal finance.
- Understand cost behaviours and break-even point analysis.
- Identify individual leadership priorities and develop action plans with a focus on sustainability.
- Identify the role of planning in achieving team productivity improvement.
Coaching for performance
- Expand the ability to use different coaching styles depending on situations particularly when performance problems are identified.
- Develop a series of questions to uncover the root cause of performance issues.
Bringing it all together
- Program review and topic alignment.
- Planning the next steps for your personal plan and how to commit to it.
All of the sessions will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the following dates:
Monday, Oct 19, 2020
Tuesday, Oct 20, 2020
Monday, Oct 26, 2020
Monday, Nov 02, 2020
Monday, Nov 09, 2020
Monday, Nov 16, 2020
Monday, Nov 23, 2020
Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020
Monday, Nov 30, 2020
Tuesday, Dec 01, 2020
Goodman School of Business, Brock University
Gain leadership insights from award-winning professors and industry experts who consistently receive satisfaction rates exceeding 90%. Please find a sample list of our instructors below:
- Associate Professor, Goodman School of Business (Brock University)
- Executive Vice President, Lake & Associates
- Former CAO, Town of Caledon
- Former CAO, Town of Thorold
- Career & Personality Dimensions Specialist
$ 2,995+ HST per participant.
“These courses are geared towards understanding the bigger picture. When I was in charge of one unit, that was my world, but now I need to look at everything and how it fits together. These courses opened my eyes to see that bigger picture and to understand how to be a better leader.”
– Darrin Forbes, Niagara Regional Police Service Inspector
“The NextGen program is delivered by experienced and progressive municipal leaders and provides the tools and understanding to perform in the evolving public sector. Delivered in a fun and practical environment this program was motivating and energizing.”
– Adam Eckhart, Welland Deputy Fire Chief
Continuing Professional DEVELOPMENT
Program seminars could count towards Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours.
Contact us for more details.