Assistant Professor (PhD, OCT), Department of Educational Studies
Monique Somma is a faculty member in the Teacher Education Program. She teaches course on topics related to education for students with exceptionalities. Monique obtained an MEd and PhD from Brock University. Prior to joining Brock full-time in 2017, she taught both special education and inclusive classes in several Ontario elementary schools for 15 years.
- Inclusive Education- as it relates to human rights and individuals with exceptionalities.
- Pedagogical Change- Teacher change in beliefs and practice regarding students with exceptionalities.
- Differentiated Instruction- How can/do teachers use DI for creating inclusive classrooms?
- Outdoor Education- Nature based education programs and the impact on student learning and well-being.
Somma, M. (2018). From Segregation to Inclusion: Special Educators’ Experiences of Change. International Journal of Inclusive Education. Online. doi: 10.1080/13603116.2018.1464070
Bennett, S., Gallagher, T., Shuttleworth, M., Somma, M. & White, R. (2017). Teen dreams: Voices of students with intellectual disabilities. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 23 (1), 64-75.
Somma, M. (2017). The Case of Drake. In Kim Calder Stageman & Angèla AuCoin (Eds.). Inclusive Education: Stories of Success and Hope in a Canadian Context. Toronto: Pearson
Somma, M. (2015). Changing the Spots of Leopards: A Look into the Process of Teacher Change and its Impact on Inclusive Pedagogy. Teaching and Learning 10 (1). (16 pgs)
Wlodarczyk, K., Somma, M., Bennett, S., & Gallagher, T. (2015). Moving Towards Inclusion: Inclusion Coaches Reflections and Discussions in Supporting Educators in Practice. Exceptionality Education International. (30 pgs)
Reid, L., Bennett, S., Specht, J., White, R., Somma, M., Li, X., Lattanzio, R., Gavan, K., Kyle, G., Porter, G. & Patel, A. (2018). If inclusion means everyone, why not me?
- EDBE 8P35/ 8Y03- Socio/Emotional Development and the Exceptional Learner
- EDBE 8P03- Cognition, Development and the Exceptional Learner
- EDBE 8Y42- Programming for Inclusive Classrooms
- EDUC 8Y40/ 8Y06- Special Education
- EDUC 8Y29- Social Studies
- MPCE 6P04- Ontario Education K-12
- EDUC 5Q97- Culminating Seminar in Educational Studies