Professor (PhD), Department of Educational Studies
Contact for Availability for Graduate Advisement
Dr. Fiona Blaikie is Professor and former Dean of the Faculty of Education at Brock University; former Director of the Joint PhD in Educational Studies Program, and former Chair of Graduate Studies and Research (at Lakehead University). She has won numerous awards, most recently the USSEA/InSEA International Ziegfeld Award. Fiona’s current scholarship in visual arts education focuses on new materialities, situated feminist ontologies, and posthumanism. Her edited collection, Visual and Cultural Identity Constructs of Global Youth and Young Adults was published (2021) by Routledge. Currently, Fiona is Co-Chair of the Arts Education Research Institute (AERI) and Associate Director of the Posthumanism Research Institute at Brock University.
- Visual art education
- Qualitative research including arts-informed educational research
- Social theory on the body and clothing
- Youth culture
- Qualitative approaches to portfolio assessment
- Curriculum development and implementation
- Arts education
- Embodied knowledge/s
- Youth identity constructs
- International curricula in arts education and comparator work in arts education
Selected Recent Publications
Blaikie, F. and Hafeli, M. (In press). Fiona Blaikie (Brock University) and Mary Hafeli (Teachers’ College, Columbia): Studio Practices in Art Education. In L.Lewis and C. Berlinksi (Eds.). Visual Arts Research Special Issue on Women Art Educators in Higher Education: Conversations about Studio Practices.
Blaikie, F. (2019). Two paintings selected: Studio Conversations in Art Education. Curators: Lilian Lewis and Claudia Berlinksi at Youngstown State University and Museum Coordinator at the McDonough Museum of Art, Youngstown, Ohio, June 8 to July 20 2019.
Blaikie, F. (2019). A Review of the Common European Framework of Reference for Visual Literacy Prototype: CEFR-VL. International Journal for Education through Art. 15 (1). 51-61. DOI: 10.1386/eta.15.1.51_1
Blaikie, F. (2019). Education through Art: A Model for Art Education drawn from International Perspectives. In Coutts, G., and Eca, T. Learning through art: Lessons for the 21st Century. http://www.insea.org/docs/inseapublications/Learning-through-the-arts-lessons-for-the-21-century.pdf
Blaikie, F. (2019). Studio Art: Pedagogical Contexts and Possibilities. In Hickman, R., Baldacchino, J., Freedman, K., Hall, E., and Meager, N. (Eds.). The International Encyclopedia of Art and Design Education. DOI: 10.1080/00393541.2018.1476951
Blaikie, F. (2018). Habitus, Visual and Cultural Identity: Mean Girls’ Hyperfeminine Performances as Burlesque Pastiche and as Archetypal Female Pariahs, Studies in Art Education, 59 (3), 215-227. DOI: 10.1080/00393541.2018.1476951
- American Education Research Association (ABER sig)
- Canadian Society for Studies in Education
- National Art Education Association (USA)
- International Society for Education through Art
- Canadian Society for Education through Art
- The culminating seminar
- Introduction to Educational Research Methods
- The Doctoral Proposal Research Colloquium, Joint PhD online. Cross referenced to ED 769 at Windsor, ED 6719 at Lakehead.
- Developing a Personal Philosophy of Education Practice
- Preparing the Ground: Developing a Critical Languag
- The Body as a Site for Knowledge: Embodiment and Curriculum Inquiry
- The Arts in the Curriculum