Professor (PhD), Department of Educational Studies
Available for Graduate Advisement
Debra has been involved in the area of Early Childhood Education for more than 20 years. As a practitioner and researcher, Debra has worked directly with educators, families and young children in Ontario, British Columbia, and internationally. Her teaching and research expertise are focused on early child development and curriculum, nature pedagogies, professionalism, community capacity building, and ethical research practices with young children and their families.
- Early childhood education
- Curriculum and instruction in the early years
- iPads & young learners
- Nature based programs
- Educator professionalism
Harwood, D., Julien, K., & DiCesare, D. M. (2019). Teachers digital practices in the classroom. In Palaiologou, I. & Gray, C. (Eds)., Early Learning in the Digital Age. London, UK: Sage.
Harwood, D., Rose, S., Whitty, P., & Elliot, E. (2019). The flat weasel-Children experiencing death through nature/animal encounters. In Cutter-Mackenzie, A., Malone, K, & Hacking, E. B., International Research Handbook on ChildhoodNature: Assemblages of Childhood and Nature Research. Springer Publishing.
Harwood, D., Reichheld, S., McElhone, S., & McKinley, B. (2017). “I can climb the tree!” Exploring young children’s play & physical activity levels in the Forest. The International Journal of Holistic Early Learning and Development, 4, 45-62.
Harwood, D., Facchini, N., Randall, H., Ratilainen, C. & Robitalle, S. (Fall 2017). “Good-bye Mr. Racoon, we’ll miss you!” Supporting children’s explorations of life and death in a forest, ECELinks, 1, 35-46.
Harwood, D., & Collier, D. (2017). The matter of the stick: Storying/re-storying children’s literacies in the Forest. JECL special issue: Early Literacy and the Posthuman: Pedagogies and Methodologies, 17(3), 336-352. DOI: 1468798417712340
Harwood, D. (Ed.) (2017). Crayons and iPads: Learning and Teaching of Young Children in the Digital World. London, UK: Sage Publishing.
- SSHRC Explore Grant -Reimagining and Reframing Teaching Practice Towards Inclusion: Using reflective practice with Montessori Educators (2019-2020)
- SSHRC Partnership Engagement Grant Reimagining Educator Training: Using technology to foster Early Childhood Educators capacities in remote communities (2018-2019)
- Community Living Grant – Exploring inclusive practices within Montessori Education Model
- SSHRC Insight – Crayons and iPads: Understanding young children’s meaning-making processes in learning to be literate
- EDUC 3P51 Early childhood education for sustainability
- EDUC 3P85 Internship I
- EDUC 4P85 Internship II
- EDUC 4F50 Thesis in ECE
- EDUC 5P30 Development, Learning, & Curriculum