Professor (PhD), Department of Educational Studies
Chunlei Lu is a Professor in the Faculty of Education at Brock University. He had school teaching certificates issued in Canada (Ontario) and in China. He obtained a BEd (China), MEd (China), MSc (USA), and PhD (Canada). He has teaching experiences in seven universities in the aforementioned countries. His research interests have concentrated on the interacted fields of culture, education, and health. He has published 2 books, 8 book chapters, and 65 refereed articles around the world.
- Curriculum and instruction in health and physical education
- Mindfulness, wholistic health, Dao for well-being, and wisdom education
- Enjoyment and habit development in physical activity
- East-West discourses in education, health, and sports
- Language teaching and learning (e.g., English as an additional language, Chinese as an additional language)
- Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- International Chinese Society of Physical Activities and Health (ICSPAH)
- Physical & Health Education (PHE) Canada
Chapters in books
Barrett, J., Lu, C., & Janzen, J. (2018). Recommendations for quality health education teaching. In J. Barrett & C. Scaini (Eds.), Physical and health education in Canada: Integrated approaches for elementary teachers (pp. 71-83). Human Kinetics: Champaign, IL. (open peer-reviewed)
Lu, C., & Gao, Z. (2015). Traditional Chinese physical activities. In D. Cothran & X. Keating (Eds.), Learning for a lifetime: Effective secondary physical education programs (pp. 274-288). Beijing, China: Educational Science Publishing House. (open peer-reviewed)
Lu, C., Francis, N., & Lodewyk, K. (2014). Movement domains. In D. Robinson & L. Randall (Eds.), Teaching physical education today: Canadian perspectives (pp. 208-225). Toronto, ON, Canada: Thompson Educational. (single-blind peer-reviewed)
Papers in journals (refereed)
Lu, C., Yuan, X., & Ye, M. (2018). The Problem and Solutions of the Confucius Institute’s Development. Journal of Minjiang University, 39(4), 91-97.
Ruso, S., Lu, C., & Francis, N. (2018). Engaging South-Asian female adolescents in secondary physical education: A culturally-relevant approach. PHEnex Journal, 10(1), 1-17. Free access: http://ojs.acadiau.ca/index.php/phenex/article/view/1824
Wang, C., & Lu, C. (2018). Flipped classroom: An opportunity and strategy to cope with the “empty nest crisis” in rural schools. The Inservice Education and Training of School Teachers, 380, 33-38.
Lin, L., & Lu, C. (2017). Teachers’ teaching is for students’ learning: Inspiration obtained in physical education in Canada. Sport, 172, 61-63, 9.
Zhang, X., Lu, C., & Xia, S. (2017). A comparative analysis of PE module curriculum and PE unit teaching. Journal of Tibet University (Social Sciences Edition), 128(1), 195-200.
Lu, C., McGinn, M., Xu, X., & Sylvestre, J. (2017). Living in two cultures: Chinese Canadians’ perspectives on health. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 19, 423-429. (March 21, 2016 online first). DOI: 1007/s10903-016-0386-2
Zhu, W., Lu, C., & Song, N. (2016). Research on management modes of sports venues in colleges and universities. Journal of Jilin Sport University, 32(6), 21-24.
Lu, C., & Lorusso, J. (2016). No PE degree? Foundational knowledge to support generalist teachers of physical education. Teaching and Learning, 11(1), 1-15. Free access: https://brock.scholarsportal.info/journals/teachingandlearning/home/article/view/435
Blom, R., & Lu, C. (2016). Contextualizing postmodernity in Daoist symbolism: Towards a mindful education embracing eastern wisdom. Educational Philosophy and Theory. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1080/00131857.2016.1190266
Lu, C., & Montague, B. (2016). Move to Learn, Learn to Move: Prioritizing Physical Activity in Early Childhood Education Programming. Early Childhood Education Journal, 44(5), 409-417. DOI: 10.1007/s10643-015-0730-5
Blom, R., Lu, C., & Mgombelo, J. (2015). Mindful pedagogy: Invocating the concept of play beyond the confines of recess. Philosophical Inquiry in Education, 22(2), 38-49.
Lu, C., DiPetta, T., & Xu, Y. (2015). Teaching Chinese as an additional language: Issues, approaches, and pedagogy. Educational Policies and Current Practices, 1(2), 57-69. doi:10.15340/2147350112832
Lu, C., & Steele, K. (2014). Easy-Play Model: An inclusive approach to enjoyable sport participation. Physical and Health Education Journal, 80(1), 24-28.
Douglas, D., Lu, C., & Barrett, J. (2014). Developing physical activity habits in schools for active lifestyle among children and adolescents. PHEnex Journal, 6(2), 1-15. Free access: http://ojs.acadiau.ca/index.php/phenex/article/viewFile/1532/1289
Lu, C., & Buchanan, A. (2014). Developing student emotional well-being in physical education. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 85(4), 28-33. doi: 1080/07303084.2014.884433.
Lu, C. (2014). Teaching and/or learning Chinese as an additional language: Challenging terminology and proposed solutions. Education Matters: The Journal of Teaching and Learning, 2(1), 141-150.
Lu, C., & Steele, K. (2014). Characteristics and conceptual framework of the Easy-Play Model. European Physical Education Review, 20(2), 229-243. doi: 10.1177/1356336X14524861.
- 2016 (Principal Investigator). Updated and refined research synthesis on the physical and movement domains. Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services ($16,950 CAD).
- EDBE 8P46 – Primary/Junior Health and Physical Education
- EDBE 8P56 – Junior/Intermediate Health and Physical Education
- EDBE 8F84 – Intermediate/Senior Health and Physical Education
- EDUC 5P57 – Physical education in the curriculum (MEd)
- Nicoleta Woinarosky (MA, 2005-2007). The effect of exercise/physical activity on chronic pain and pain-related mental health issues among computer workers with repetitive strain injuries. School of Human Kinetics, University of Ottawa, Canada.
- Dengshu Chen (MA,2007-2009). Exploring Chinese-Canadians’ perspectives on health: A quantitative study. Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Brock University, Canada.
- Linda Thomas (MEd, 2007-2010). Health literacy: A concept redefined for school education. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Chris McLean (MEd, 2009-2010). A critical analysis of health education curricula across Canada. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Stefanie Pavlovich (MEd, 2010-2011). Developing enjoyable experiences for students in physical education. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Kyle Steele (MEd, 2009-2012). Adult participants’ experiences of a sport program implementing the easy-play Model: Implications for an active lifestyle. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Yuming Xu (MEd, 2011-2012). Teaching Chinese as an additional language: A handbook for classroom teachers outside China. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Deanna Douglas (MEd, 2012-2013). Developing physical activity habit in school for active lifestyle among children and youth. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Robert Blom (MEd, 2010-2014). Mindfulness: An ancient wisdom for the reconceptualization of modern education in the complex world. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Sarah Oag (MEd, 2015-2017). Using a culturally-relevant approach to engage South-Asian female adolescents in secondary physical education. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Lindsay Hayward (MEd, 2015-2017). Mindfulness for student mental health in school. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Keith Crawford (MEd , 2015-2017). Connecting digital environments to additional language learning in schools. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.
- Nina Lee (PhD, 2010-2017). Teaching learners of English as an additional language: Re-conceptualizing mainstream teacher preparedness in the growing linguistic mosaic of Ontario. Faculty of Education, Brock University, Canada.