Professor (PhD), Department of Educational Studies
Dr. Chunlei Lu is a Professor in the Faculty of Education at Brock University. He obtained a BEd (China), MEd (China), MSc (USA), and PhD (Canada). He has school teaching certificates issued in Canada (Ontario) and in China, and has taught in seven universities in the aforementioned countries. Dr. Lu has published 3 books, 8 book chapters, and approximately 70 refereed articles around the world. His research interests have concentrated on the interconnected areas of education, culture, and health. Over the course of his career, his scholarship has evolved and developed in the fields of curriculum and pedagogy, cognition and learning, educational leadership and policy studies, and social/cultural contexts of education.
- Curriculum and instruction in health and physical education;
- Mindfulness, mental health, wholistic health, well-being, and wisdom education;
- Cross-cultural studies in education, health, and sports;
- Comparative and international education;
- Language teaching and learning (e.g., English as an additional language, Chinese as an additional language).
- Canadian Society for the Study of Education (CSSE)
- Physical & Health Education (PHE) Canada
- Wang, C., Lu, C., & Rong, W. (2020). The governance of education in Canada. Wuhan, Hubei, China: Hubei Education Press. (open peer-reviewed)
- Zhang, Z., Wang, B., Cao, L., Ma, G., Lu, C., Yao, L. et al. (1995). School physical education. Jinan, Shandong, China: Jinan Publishing Co. (open peer-reviewed)
Chapters in books
- Barrett, J., Lu, C., & Janzen, J. (2019). Recommendations for quality health education teaching. In J. Barrett & C. Scaini (Eds.), Physical and health education in Canada: Integrated approaches for elementary teachers (pp. 71-83). Human Kinetics: Champaign, IL. (open peer-reviewed)
- Lu, C., & Gao, Z. (2015). Traditional Chinese physical activities. In D. Cothran & X. Keating (Eds.), Learning for a lifetime: Effective secondary physical education programs (pp. 274-288). Beijing, China: Educational Science Publishing House. (open peer-reviewed)
Papers in journals (refereed)
- Lu, C., Barrett, J., & Lu, O. (2020). Teaching physical education teacher education (PETE) online: Challenges and solutions. Brock Education: A Journal of Educational Research and Practice, 29(2), 13-17. DOI: HTTPS://DOI.ORG/10.26522/BROCKED.V29I2.828
- Figg, C., Crawford, K., Lu, C., & Lu, O. (2020). E-3Cs: A research-based model for effective digital learning for K-6 schools. Brock Education: A Journal of Educational Research and Practice, 29(2), 24-29. DOI: HTTPS://DOI.ORG/10.26522/BROCKED.V29I2.835
- Gao, H., & Lu, C. (2020). The importance of qualities as cross-cultural communicative competence. Business 2.0, 1, 79-80.
- Lu, C., Yuan, X., & Ye, M. (2018). The problem and solutions of the Confucius Institute’s development. Journal of Minjiang University, 39(4), 91-97.
- Ruso, S., Lu, C., & Francis, N. (2018). Engaging South-Asian female adolescents in secondary physical education: A culturally-relevant approach. PHEnex Journal, 10(1), 1-17. Free access: http://ojs.acadiau.ca/index.php/phenex/article/view/1824
- Wang, C., & Lu, C. (2018). Flipped classroom: An opportunity and strategy to cope with the “empty nest crisis” in rural schools. The Inservice Education and Training of School Teachers, 380, 33-38.
- Lin, L., & Lu, C. (2017). Teachers’ teaching is for students’ learning: Inspiration obtained in physical education in Canada. Sport, 172, 61-63, 9.
- Zhang, X., Lu, C., & Xia, S. (2017). A comparative analysis of PE module curriculum and PE unit teaching. Journal of Tibet University (Social Sciences Edition), 128(1), 195-200.
- Lu, C., McGinn, M., Xu, X., & Sylvestre, J. (2017). Living in two cultures: Chinese Canadians’ perspectives on health. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 19, 423-429. (March 21, 2016 online first). DOI: 1007/s10903-016-0386-2
- Zhu, W., Lu, C., & Song, N. (2016). Research on management modes of sports venues in colleges and universities. Journal of Jilin Sport University, 32(6), 21-24.
- Lu, C., & Lorusso, J. (2016). No PE degree? Foundational knowledge to support generalist teachers of physical education. Teaching and Learning, 11(1), 1-15. Free access: https://brock.scholarsportal.info/journals/teachingandlearning/home/article/view/435
- Blom, R., & Lu, C. (2016). Contextualizing postmodernity in Daoist symbolism: Towards a mindful education embracing eastern wisdom. Educational Philosophy and Theory. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1080/00131857.2016.1190266
- Lu, C., & Montague, B. (2016). Move to Learn, Learn to Move: Prioritizing Physical Activity in Early Childhood Education Programming. Early Childhood Education Journal, 44(5), 409-417. DOI: 10.1007/s10643-015-0730-5
- Blom, R., Lu, C., & Mgombelo, J. (2015). Mindful pedagogy: Invocating the concept of play beyond the confines of recess. Philosophical Inquiry in Education, 22(2), 38-49. Free access: https://journals.sfu.ca/pie/index.php/pie/article/view/420
- Lu, C., DiPetta, T., & Xu, Y. (2015). Teaching Chinese as an additional language: Issues, approaches, and pedagogy. Educational Policies and Current Practices, 1(2), 57-69. doi:10.15340/2147350112832
- 2016 (Principal Investigator). Updated and refined research synthesis on the physical and movement domains. Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services ($16,950 CAD).
- EDBE 8P46 – Primary/Junior Health and Physical Education
- EDBE 8P56 – Junior/Intermediate Health and Physical Education
- EDBE 8F84 – Intermediate/Senior Health and Physical Education
- EDUC 5P57 – Physical education in the curriculum (MEd)
- EDUC 5P21 – Comparative & International Education