HYPOTHETICAL TERNARY SYSTEMS
Hypothetical Ternary Systems - Without Solid Solution
- (a) congruently melting compound BC, 2 eutectics;
- (b) congruently melting compound, BC, 1 eutectic, 1 peritectic;
- (c) incongruently melting compound BC, 1 eutectic, 1 peritectic;
- (d) congruently melting compound ABC, 3 eutectics;
- (e) incongruently melting compound ABC, 1 eutectic, 1 distributary peritectic, 1 tributary peritectic.
Hypothetical Ternary Systems - With Partial to Complete Solid Solution
- (a) limited solid solution of A with B or C
- (b) complete solid solution between B and C
- (c) congruently melting compound BC, in complete solid solution with A
- (d) incongruently melting compound BC in complete solid solution with A.
Systems displaying complete solid solution will not contain a ternary eutectic.
- (e) complete solid solution between B and C, but with a ternary minimum (M) between the fields of A + L and BCSS + L.
The BC binary system displays a binary minimum (m), as in the Ab-Or system. Instead of a eutectic in this system a thermal valley exists between M and m and represents the lowest temperature at which a liquid exists.