Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Experiential Education (EE) team do? Who should I contact?

We are a team of Coordinators who grow experiential learning opportunities within the curriculum at Brock. The EE team supports each Faculty to embed hands-on learning opportunities in order to connect theory with practice. Forms of experiential education differ across Faculties and Departments reflecting the variety of teaching and learning experiences available across our diverse campus. Each Faculty has a dedicated EE Coordinator. Visit our contact page to find the EE Coordinator in your Faculty.

Is there funding available?

Yes. Teaching and Learning Innovation grants are administered through the Centre for Pedagogical Innovation (CPI) and through Experiential Education.

Additionally, Brock has received provincial funding through the Career Ready Funding and has additional funding available for experiential courses focused on first year students, international opportunities, as well as using digital technology for experiential learning.  Contact your EE Coordinator for more information if you are interested in learning more about these initiatives.

What is the difference between Co-op and EE?

While co-op is a long-stand, robust form of experiential learning that may or may not be attached to accreditation, there are some basic differences between the two.  Experiential learning is typically done at the course level and students apply what they are learning in-class through one of Brock’s established experiential learning opportunities (attach definitions), while co-op happens at the degree level and students apply their program learning through full time work terms with employers within Niagara or beyond.

How should I include an experiential education component in my course outline?

It is important that you include any experiential education components of your course in your course outline/syllabus so that students are aware of these expectations from the beginning of the term. Highlighting the following features is recommended:

  • Whether the experiential education component mandatory or optional
  • The dates and locations of the experiential education component occur and whether or not students will be required to travel off-campus
  • Forms/documents are students required to complete before participating in the experiential component (e.g. Criminal Record Check; Brock’s Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement; etc.), and the deadline and process for submitting these documents
  • Any costs associated with the experiential component (e.g. travel costs, admission fees, supply costs)
  • How learning associated with the experiential component will be assessed through reflection-based assignments and other activities
  • Learning outcomes directly associated with the experiential education component

In addition to including information in your course outline, we recommend discussing the experiential education component with your class at the beginning of the term to address any questions your students may have.

Do experiential education components require a full-term commitment?

No. An experiential education component may be as short as a single workshop or simulation or required attendance at an event; or it may be a more involved longer-term project, placement, or internship. It is up to you which type of experiential education you would like to incorporate into your courses.  As long as the component includes a graded reflection, it may be considered experiential. 

Is experiential education measured or tracked? How is this done? Why?

Yes. Brock is currently tracking all types of experiential education in courses for the purpose of reporting to the Ontario government as outlined in Brock’s Strategic Mandate Agreement. In addition, some Faculties may be using these metrics for their own internal purposes. It is extremely important that these numbers are reported fully and are accurate.

Currently, experiential course metrics are captured through Brock DB as part of the Course Composition (Composition of Final Grade) form. Within this form, each of Brock’s experiential education definitions are listed with the opportunity to include the number of hours each student is expected to spend on each component in the course. There is also the opportunity to indicate if this component is required for all students or optional.

How can I incorporate reflection as a graded assessment in my course? Why is this important?

Reflection is a central feature of experiential education and serves the function of solidifying connection between what a student experienced and the meaning/learning that they derived from that experience (Denton, 2011).  At Brock and across Ontario, a graded reflection-based assessment is necessary for all courses with experience education as it supports student in making meaning of experiences and our understanding of the learning that took place.

Reflection can be woven into your course in meaningful ways that support your overall learning objectives and curriculum. Ideas for how to include a reflection-based assessment into your course can be found in the Role of Reflection guide.

Does all EXPERIENTIAL EDUCATION require a community partner?

No. We recommend that you start small when building experiential learning opportunities into your course.  Looking at Brock’s experiential education definitions, there are many forms of experiential education that can take place within the classroom that that require minimal resources and are low-risk.  These include but aren’t limited to: simulations and experimentation, conference and/or event participation, creative or physical practice, creative performance or exhibit, consulting, creative, entrepreneurship or design projects, etc. Use the menu on the left to explore the different categories of experiential education.

If you are interested in partnering with a community organization please contact the EE Coordinator in your Faculty/Department to discuss the process.

How do I secure a community partnership?

Community partnerships can be sourced in many ways. Primarily, community partners can be sourced by the EE Coordinator in your Faculty. After consultation with a faculty member, an EE Coordinator can go into the community to source a partner. This can be a relationship that has already been established or a new relationship. Co-op, Career & Experiential Education (CCEE) has strong partnerships with many public, private, and non-profit organizations, as well as innovation centers and Chambers of Commerce across Niagara and beyond.

Community partnerships can also be established by faculty members. If you have a connection in a relevant field and your contact has a need that aligns with your class, you are welcome to include them. Your EE Coordinator can handle or support the safety, logistics and coordination of the experiential component once you have an established partner(s).

Internal projects or partnerships at Brock are also an option when an external partnership cannot be sourced or is not a fit. If there as a challenge or project internal to Brock that students can address, your EE Coordinator can source a internal contact for the related department (e.g. Ancillary Services, Aboriginal Student Services, Brock Wellness, Human Resources, Campus Safety, Athletic Therapy Clinic, etc.)

Do students need to go off-campus if they are working with a community partner?

No. In fact many community partners often come to campus to work with our students. How our students engage with a community partner is dependent on the type of experiential learning occurring in the class.

What is the process for taking students off campus? Do I have to fill out any forms?

Yes.  Any faculty member taking students off campus will need to complete Brock Health and Safety Trip Risk & Emergency Management Plan (TREMP) form, and all participants must additionally complete Brock’s Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk & Indemnity Agreement. When paperwork is completed, approval signatures must be obtained by your Department Chair and Dean. Once approval is obtained, please submit all documents to . For a complete overview of Brock’s Travel and Risk Management procedures please consult Health and Safety’s Sharepoint site. It is important to note that if you are taking students internationally, additional steps may be required. If you need support through this process, please consult with the EE Coordinator in your Faculty. 

What insurance forms are students required to complete before participating in an experiential course component at an off campus location?

All students traveling off campus must sign and submit back to the lead faculty member Brock’s Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk & Indemnity Agreement

Are students required to complete insurance forms if they are working with a community partner on campus?

No. Students do not have to complete any paperwork when working on campus with a community partner. 

Do instructors have to fill out different insurance forms than students?

No. All participants traveling, including faculty members and staff are encouraged to complete Brock’s Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk & Indemnity Agreement.