It’s the middle of April, meaning classes at Brock are done, and exams are well underway! Final exams usually mean long hours of studying, and lots more time spent in the library. Sometimes, exams can be a stressful time for students so here are some tips for making sure you take care of yourself during exams and prepare wisely!
One of the most important things I’ve found about the final exam period in university is the importance of taking time for myself, and balancing my time. Here are some of my tips:
1. Use your professors and Teaching Assistants as a resource! When preparing for an exam, if you ever are unsure of something or maybe need a little refresher on a certain topic that was covered in your lecture, ask your professor! Professors at Brock are very open to students and are willing to help, so if you have a question, it doesn’t hurt to ask!
2. Get plenty of sleep. During exams, there are no classes running anymore, so most students have a lot more time on their hands. Getting enough sleep is super important, especially during exams. Keeping a good sleep schedule will help improve your mood, and even help you to retain more information while studying.
3. Stay hydrated, and eat well. Drinking lots of water and eating enough nutritious food will help you to stay on top of your game during the final exam period! With exam time being so busy, it can be easy to fall into the trap of eating junk food. Healthy food is the way to go! It will fuel your body and give you lots of energy to crush those exams!
4. Get some exercise! Exercising during exams will not only get your body moving and feeling great, it will also clear your mind and make you feel refreshed! It’s also a fantastic mood booster.
5. Find a good spot to study where you can focus. When it comes to finals, it’s important to get into a good study routine, and this includes having a good place to go to get the most work done that you can. Maybe you’re a person who likes to study with a friend, or you’re someone who prefers studying alone. Maybe you need complete silence in order to focus, or if your’e like me, you like a quiet buzz in the background. Whatever the case, if you can find yourself a spot that is comfortable to you, studying will feel a lot less like a chore.
6. Take study breaks! This is one of my most important tips! Yes, studying is important but it’s not everything. It’s extremely important to focus on your mental wellness as well. There are so many great things to do if you’re looking for a quick study break! One of my favourites is to treat yourself by taking a little trip to Beechwood Donuts (the best donut shop on planet earth), which is right downtown St. Catharines. Another way to take a break is to go for a nice hike at Decew Falls (just a few minutes away from Brock’s campus). Decew Falls is gorgeous, and has an awesome waterfall near the end!
That’s all for now everyone, I hope these are helpful to you all!