Hey there Future Badgers,
When you first get on the Brock campus you might notice this tall building standing in the middle of campus.
It’s the Schmon Tower, named after the chair of the Brock University Founders’ Committee, Arthur Schmon. The tower is 13 stories tall and contains tons of useful services which are super handy to know about. So that’s why I’m going to take the time now to outline some of the most useful services in the tower and tell you whats on each floor!
1. The first floor of the Tower is Market Hall, a place where students can grab food (there’s a dining hall) and sit and study, hang out, catch up or do whatever! There are also classrooms located on this floor in the hallway outside of market!
2. The second floor is the Matheson Learning Commons. There are a ton of services for students here including:
- The circulation desk where you can sign out all of the resources avaiblable to Brock students
- Printers and scanners for you to use!
- The Makerspace where you can see all sorts of things in the works of being made and engineered!
- Group study rooms!
- Learning services drop in help. If you’re looking for a little bit of guidance with writing or studying, or math and science, this is a good place to start!
3. The third floor is home to BROCK CENTRAL the one stop shop for students to get information on Admissions, records, and transcripts, as well as all things finance and related services. This floor is also home to Student Awards and Financial Aid where students can find information on OSAP, bursaries, awards and financial records, pay tuition and inquire about anything related
4. On the fourth floor of the tower we have the Student Accessibility Services (click the link to visit the webpage) where you can find tons and tons of student services, including disAbility services, personal counselling and many other services!
5. The fifth through tenth floor of the tower is home to the Brock University Library! Each floor has study space, books, and resources students can access and work with in order to complete assignments. The Brock collection has over 1.5 million items to help students with their assignments and research. Another cool feature about the library is its volume control. The way the sound level works is the higher you go up the quieter it gets. So on the 2nd, 5th 6th and 7th floors, there’s a lot of tables for group study and talking at a normal level is allowed. Floors 8 and 9 allow for whispering level and floor 10 is completely silent.
11. The eleventh floor has the Library Collections, Library Liaison Services and Data Research Services. It also contains offices for the auditor, and the Office of the University Secretariat. Not too often would students need to go to this floor
12. Internal university offices are located on this floor and aren’t accessed by students too frequently. Some of the offices include human resources and internal finance
13. This is where the president’s office is located! On this floor there is an amazing view that our senior administrators are able to enjoy as well as anyone who uses the meeting rooms on this floor. The boardroom located up here houses many meetings including the BUSAC meetings as well as BUSU meeting, staff meetings, many committee meetings, as well as a lot of other meetings.
Well there you have it badgers – a brief outline of everything in the Schmon Tower, hopefully when you get on campus you’ll know exactly whats in the tower.
Anyways, that’s it for now future badgers.
Naomi – out!!